Roller Rink Romance [Ruby X Sapphire + Steven X Connie]

Steven X Connie was a request by _RaindropMelody_ and Ruby X Sapphire was from Chiharu_Okabe, SeverusSnape99, bobnet, and peachbun (this is also for Steven_U_Lover, since we just had a conversation about Ruby X Sapphire :3)

This started out as just Ruby X Sapphire
But then I was like "hey lookit that I could cheat and finish two pairing requests in one :O"
So I put on some old music *cough*crazylittlethingcalledlove*cough* and yeah
Sorry if it's a little less detailed than my usual one shots I dunno what happened ;n;
Alssoooooo I drew the chapter cover so you could see sort of what stevonnies outfit looks like so
that's a thing
Anyways

---

Steven could barely contain his excitement, bouncing up and down. He was practically hyperventilating as he waited on the porch with Connie. After hours of begging, he had finally convinced Garnet to go on a double date with him and Connie at the Beach City Roller Rink. This meant she had to unfuse, which made her uneasy, but she couldn't say no to Steven's cute face. She had agreed to go only if they could refuse if it ever got too uncomfortable.
So Steven and Connie were waiting outside for Ruby and Sapphire to emerge. Connie was wearing a pretty leotard that was a gradient of magenta to pale pink with yellow stars on it. She had on matching leggings and protective gear, and her hair was pulled back into a low ponytail. Steven was wearing a rosy red tank top with a star on it and white mid-thigh length shorts with white socks ringed by red stripes. His gear was similar to Connie's in the aspect that it matched his outfit.
Connie turned to Steven, putting a hand on his shoulder to try and calm him. "Relax, Steven. They'll be out in a minute."
"I know but I'm so excited! Ruby and Sapphire are great! And we're going skating! And it's a date! And--"
"Sorry it took so long,"
Steven and Connie gasped and spun around. They came face to face with Ruby and Sapphire. Connie could barely contain her squeal. She had never seen these two before, although Steven had told her everything he knew about them. Ruby was clutching Sapphire's arm, her head down. She looked extremely uncomfortable. However, Sapphire was stoic and calm as always.
Sapphire had on a very poofy light blue skirt with a dark blue belt around her middle and a white blouse with a deep red star on it. Her protective gear was the same dark red with blue stars. Ruby's gear was the reverse of Sapphire's. She wore dark red short shorts with a bright red stripe down the sides. Her shirt had a bright blue star on the front and it was open on the sides. Ruby's shirt tucked into her shorts, and you could see her black tube top underneath. Ruby and Sapphire also had on matching knee socks with blue and red stripes on them.
Steven was the first one to recover. He beamed at the two. "You two look great!"
Connie blinked and shook her head quickly. "Y-Yeah! I love how you guys are matching!" She giggled and lowered her head, blushing a bit. Sapphire quietly thanked them both.
"Are we going or not?" Ruby grumbled suddenly. Her voice was trembling a bit, and it cracked, as well. Sapphire turned her head reflexively to press a soothing kiss to her partner's forehead. At this, Ruby relaxed a bit, loosening her grip on Sapphire's arm and raising her head a fraction.
Connie smiled, glancing at Ruby. "Greg is waiting in the van on the beach. He's going to drive us to the rink and drop us off."
"Well, what are we doing standing here?" Ruby rolled her eyes, "Let's go already!"
Steven laughed and nodded. "Okay, okay! Follow me!" He waved a hand and jogged down to the beach with the others tailing him. The sun was just beginning to set, lighting the beach in a warm orange hue. When they got to his father's van, they found Greg rocking out to one his old albums with all the windows rolled up. The music was muted, but still fairly audible even from the outside. Everyone suppressed a giggle as Steven knocked on the window of the drivers seat.
Greg muttered something and fumbled to turn down his jams. He rolled down the window quickly, his whole face flushed an embarrassed pink over an eternal sunburn. "H-Hey, buddy. Everyone ready?"
Steven laughed. "Yeah. Look, dad! Ruby and Sapphire!" He turned and pointed behind him at Ruby and Sapphire, who were currently standing silently behind Connie. Ruby waved and Sapphire dipped her head politely.
Greg waved in return and then presses the master unlock button on his door. "Hey! Heh, hop in."
Everyone did as they were told. Steven sat up in the front with hid dad and Connie, Ruby, and Sapphire took up the remaining seats in the back row. Ruby and Sapphire might as well have been sharing a seat, though, as they were cuddled close together. It was funny, because the way they cuddled wasn't gross or too PDA-ish, it was simply cute as heck. Once everyone was buckled up, Greg started the car and started to drive back towards the main city. They passed the Big Donut, where Sadie was closing up with Lars, and they passed Fish Stew Pizza, as well. KiKi and Jenny were chatting with Nanafua outside while Kofi was beginning to stomp over, looking pretty annoyed. When they drove past the fry stand, PeeDee and Renaldo waved.
Finally they arrived. Steven thanked his dad, reluctantly accepted some "spending money," and everyone filed out. Steven and Connie waved goodbye as Greg drove off, then turned to Ruby and Sapphire, who were waiting patiently by the entrance. Beach City Roller Rink was a pretty spunky place. Every sign was made of neon lights and there were black lights shining on the side of the building, illuminating the crazy bright paint patterns on the brick. Inside was even more rad. The floor outside the rink was kiddish carpet and the rink itself had cool designs painted on it. There were drink machines, a mini snack bar, tables, a lone wall lined with arcade games, and even a photo booth in the far corner.
Admission was three dollars per person, and Steven paid the fee with his own money, saving his dad's money for last call only. "Here you go, sweeties." The woman at the admission desk smiled at each of them as she put soft paper bracelets on each of their wrists. The black lights inside made their bracelets glow, as well as various colors on their clothing. The woman waved them over to the desk with all the skates. Everyone told their size, and she handed each of them their roller skates. Before the kids went to go put them on, Steven caught a glimpse of the woman's name tag.
"Thanks...uh, Sarah!" Steven smiled and the woman--Sarah--returned the smile. She waved kindly and Steven went to join his friends at one of the tables.
Connie looked up as he came over. She already had her roller skates on. Beside her, Sapphire was lacing up Ruby's skates, beaming at her. Steven chuckled and sat beside Connie, kicking off his sandals and reaching down to tie his skates. Connie turned to Sapphire abruptly, her hands folded in her lap and her head tilted.
"Say, Sapphire...can you see with your bangs in your eyes like that?"
Sapphire shrugged slightly, tapping Ruby's knees in a discreetly scolding manner when she shot Connie a look. "I'll be fine."
"A-Are you sure?" Connie held up her wrist. "I have an extra hair tie...?"
Sapphire smiled and nodded. "Yes, I'm alright, thank you." Ruby lowered her head, snarling softly like an overprotective puppy, and Sapphire laughed. She stood and kissed Ruby quickly before offering her a hand. Ruby blushed and looked away. She took Sapphire's hand and tried to rise, but she slipped and fell into Sapphire's arms instead.
Steven laughed joyfully and went to stand as well but his skates rolled under him without him meaning to, and he slipped, too. Connie, luckily, grabbed his hand and yanked him back. He plopped down, half on her lap, half on the seat. Connie raised an eyebrow as he shifted. "Steven...have you ever gonna roller skating before?"
Steven pursed his lips and averted his gaze awkwardly. "Uh...nnnno?"
Sapphire chuckled. "Well. Ruby doesn't seem to be all too good at this either." Ruby huffed and crossed her arms over her chest, pouting. "Looks like Connie and I are taking the lead."
Connie beamed and stood. She took Steven's hand and pulled him up quickly. He yelped and nearly fell again, but Connie grabbed onto both of his hands and held him steady. Sapphire did the same to her companion, except she pulled Ruby a tad closer than Connie pulled Steven. Sapphire and Connie gave each other this sort of scheming grin before whisking onto the smooth surface of the rink.
On the rink, there were less black lights and more disco lights. There was loud, funky pop music playing as well as an older tune everyone once in a while. There were also other kids at the rink, as well as a few adults.
It made Ruby feel a little better seeing some teenagers struggling like her. She held onto Sapphire tightly with none hand and held onto the railing in the side of the rink with the other. Steven was a little ways in front of her, and even he was having less difficulty than her. Ruby scowled. No way she was getting shown up by a human boy in front of her woman. She set her jaw and suddenly burst away from Sapphire, wobbling intensely as she rolled ahead. Sapphire gasped and rushed forwards, her hand outstretched to catch her love, but she was too late. Ruby crashed into Steven and Connie, knocking them both over. Ruby lay on top of Steven and Connie lay on top of Ruby, and they were all winded and startled.
Sapphire knelt beside them carefully and helped everyone untangle themselves. Ruby didn't bother apologizing and just thanked her Sapphire. Steven and Connie resumed their unofficial lessons, scooting away from Ruby and Sapphire carefully. Ruby's whole was face flushed a deep red, her hands trembling by her side. Sapphire giggled and kissed her until she raised her head.
"Do you wanna sit down?" She asked softly.
Ruby shook her head fervently, "No way. I've got it. Look, see, watch." She turned and started to roll away. Slow and steady, she reached the other side of the rink and returned without falling. Then she did a little circled around Sapphire, and did another lap around the rink. She was a fast learner, that's for sure. Sapphire cheered and clapped, breezing over and wrapping her arms around Ruby in a warm hug. She spun her around, laughing when Ruby squealed.
Sapphire placed Ruby back on her feet and nuzzled her affectionately. Just then, Steven and Connie rolled over. Connie blushed and ducked her head. "Oh, sorry. Are we interrupting?"
Ruby shook her head, smiling at Connie for the first time that night. "No. What's up?"
"There's a couples dance coming up next!" Steven said quickly, grinning.
Sapphire gasped. "Ruby," she turned to Ruby, grinning as wide as Garnet had when she encountered Stevonnie for the first time. "We have to do it! We're a couple, we like dancing, it's our thing!"
Ruby beamed. "Heck yeah! Come on, babe!" She took Sapphire's hand and nodded at Steven and Connie to follow her. They went to the center of the rink, where some others had gathered already. Before they knew it, the music changed, and the lights brightened. An upbeat, catchy song about love began to play. It was the kind of cute, bouncy tune that made even the most extreme of wallflowers tap their toe in time. The people around them began to dance, shifting a bit and doing tricks around and with each other.
Ruby and Sapphire turned to face one another and Sapphire started to move her hips very slightly, swinging her arms by her side and tossing her hair. Ruby quickly synchronized with her. She shook her hips to the quicker beat of the song and rolled her shoulders with her hands held up. They danced separately like this, gems aglow, until Sapphire took Ruby's hand and began to spin her around. She held both of their hands above their heads and then held Ruby away from her, with Ruby dipping slightly. They spun around some more, and the people around them seemed to melt away.
Behind them, Connie and Steven were dancing as well, although they were admittedly more awkward than Ruby and Sapphire. Connie was shifting around shyly, and Steven was dancing around happily, slipping a bit sometimes. He held out a hand for Connie and she hesitated for a moment. She quickly made up her mind, however, taking up in his offer and pulled herself close to him. She did her best to ignore the people around her as she spun and twirled with Steven, laughing under the music filling her ears.
Neither of them noticed the rosy glow emitting from Steven's gem until it happened. In a sudden burst of light, Steven and Connie fused into their unified form. Stevonnie froze for a second, staring down at herself in surprise. Her outfit was a mix of Steven and Connie's, with Steven's shorts and socks, and Connie's leotard. The humans around them gasped and stopped dancing, turning to stare at the unexpected being before them. The only sound in the whole rink was the music still blaring around them.
Ruby began to panic, and Sapphire was just opening her mouth to speak, when Stevonnie suddenly burst out laughing. She spun around in a circle, spreading her arms out and closing her eyes. Some of the people started to slowly dance again. Ruby and Sapphire relaxed and resumed their own dance. And all the while, Stevonnie danced all alone, together with herself.