Little Lapis [Jasper X Lapis]

This was a request by Golden35.
I had a good friend of mine, Trishia_D, help me out with some plot ideas. Even though I ship this sooooo hard, I had trouble thinking of a way I could write a one-shot that didn't sound...ANTI-Jasper X Lapis, y'know?
Anyways, sorry it's sort of short ;n; and sorry it took so long! I spend some time drawing the chapter cover XD

---

The water had not even stilled before Malachite sank to the oceanic floor, still thrashing and resisting the firm liquid claws that drug her down, refusing to loosen their grip even slightly. The massive monster howled and snapped its jaws and scraped at the bottom of the world until, in a flash of light, it began to melt into two forms. It was only a matter of time, Lapis knew. It took all she had to keep Malachite together just long enough to reach the bottom of the ocean.
Jasper was crouched beside Lapis, panting and snarling but weak and powerless. Jasper let out a growl, feeling the salty water fill her throat, and released little bubble trails. She struggled to her feet shakily but Lapis Lazuli's hand shot out, grasping her ankle in a deathly tight hold. Her nails dug through Jasper's boots and into her skin, drawing pale citrine blood that dissolved in the water. Jasper tried to pull away but when it was no use, she brought her other foot down on Lapis's wrist. The smaller gem let out a shrill, voiceless cry that created a burst of bubbles to surround them as agony shot through her. She hastily reached with her free hand and grabbed Jasper's other ankle. Before Jasper could react, Lapis jerked her off of her feet and Jasper hit the ground a little slower than Lapis would have liked. It was too bad objects where slower in water. She would have loved to see Jasper land hard on her stupid little nose gem and crack it beyond repair.
But no, that would be to easy wouldn't it?
Quickly, before Jasper recover, Lapis closes her eyes and concentrates, focusing all of her remaining energy into forming a rounded square bubble-like field around them. Inside their little cage there was no water, just air and damp rock and Jasper and Lapis.
Jasper sat up hastily. But she knew it was too late before she even looked around. She was injured and drained and hopeless.
Outside of their cage, there was bioluminescent plant and animal life swaying and swimming in the eerily calm currents. Down here, at the bottom of the ocean, it was like nothing had ever happened. It was disturbingly calm and it made the two gems feel like they would go crazy soon enough. The silence was unbearable, all heavy and stifling.
But Jasper broke it soon enough.
"You little brat!" She snarled, lunging across the tiny space to wrap her hands around Lapis's thin neck. She started to choke her and throttle her, spewing hateful obscenities that left her as breathless as Lapis. The smaller gem scratched at Jasper's knuckles and gasped for air. She refused to retreat into her gem now. If she did, her bubble-like cage would pop and Jasper would escape. She had to stay conscious and close if she wanted her plan to work.
Lapis let out a strangled cry and kicked Jasper hard in the stomach. With a grunt, Jasper was forced off of Lapis, her back slamming into the surprisingly solid wall of the bubble cage that surrounded them. Lapis gasped desperately, bowing her head and clutching her throat as she fought for air. Tears dripped down the bridge of her nose and she wiped them away, slowly sitting up and giving Jasper the worst glare she had even given anyone before.
"Who's the weak one now?" She hissed. She spit pretty baby blue blood at Jasper's feet and smirked.
Jasper snarled at her, sitting up and returning her glowering stare. "Shut up," she barked, her fists trembling with rage. She bowed her head and released a wild howl, causing Lapis to wince and cover her ears. When she grew silent, Lapis gave her one last glare before backing up a bit more so that her back pressed against the wall of the cage. She had to keep her gem safe from Jasper. Of course this meant always facing the other gem warrior, and never sleeping or looking away for even the tiniest of moments. There was no way she was messing this up.

Down there, time passed in odd ways. There was no sunset. No sunrise. It was always the same.
It drove them mad. The ocean pressed around them, suffocating them, smothering them with immense pressure. It may have been hours, or days, or years. No one knew and no one would ever know.
Soon enough, Jasper had started to pace the small confines of their prison. Every once in a while she grumble something or kick a rock in Lapis's direction just to annoy her. Lapis would stay perfectly still, her eyes tracking Jasper flawlessly.
Lapis was so lonely down here. It was like she was trapped in the mirror all over again. But now that she had had a taste of freedom, she ached to feel it again. She wanted for none of this to ever happen. She missed Steven. She missed making raspberries with Steven and laughing and joking around. Hell, Lapis would even rather be trapped on Peridot's damned ship than trapped down here. At least on the ship there was noise and light.
Jasper turned to Lapis now, her eyes wide and wild. She stopped in her tracks and grinned. "I'm surprised," she said suddenly.
Lapis flinched and blinked up at her. "Surprised?"
This was the first time they had spoken to each other--to anyone--in days.
Jasper nodded. "I didn't think you had it in you to see this through. It takes a lot of guts to put yourself down here with me. I figured you would have cracked and tried to escape by now."
"I'm not stupid. If I let you go, you'll just ruin things again. I have to stay down here as long as it takes, even if that means eternity. I've been trapped in a mirror for thousands of years before, I can handle being trapped a little longer," Lapis deadpanned, straightening her posture her and sitting up a little more. She felt renewed determination course through her with her own words.
"I guess I didn't give you enough credit. You really are an admirable oppone--"
Lapis hissed and jumped to her feet abruptly, making Jasper leap back in surprise. Lapis lunged at Jasper, her fists trembling by her side as she glared up at her. Her wings had unfolded from her teardrop gem, fluttering angrily and flinging water droplets on the both of them.
"Shut up!" She shouted brokenly, "Shut up! Don't you dare compliment me! You're the last person I want to praise me!"
Jasper's eyes widened and she rocked back on her heels. She clicked her tongue against her teeth and smiled slowly. Before Lapis would protest, Jasper grabbed her wrist and yanked her close, kissing her hard. Lapis let out a muffled protest, struggling to escape her grasp and turn her head. Jasper took Lapis by the jaw, forcing her to return her kiss.
At last, when Lapis kicked Jasper's ankle, she let Lapis go. The smaller gem stumbled back, tripping over a rock and landing on her butt. She gaped at Jasper, her face flushed brightly and her lips bruised.
"What the hell!" Lapis shouted, rising and brushing grit from her scraped palms. She shoved Jasper roughly and glowered at her. Jasper grunted and stumbled back a step or two, but quickly regained her footing.
Jasper chuckled and shrugged carelessly, placing a hand on her hip. She gave Lapis a strange, unreadable look and then purred: "You might as well get used to me, little Lapis. We're gonna be stuck together for a while."