15;; materialism doesn't always mean loyalty

15;; materialism
doesn't always
mean loyalty

The preparations for the Winter solace were underway, the palace once so quiet and tranquil, now flooded with people, each one carrying a variety of plates, fabrics and other decorations. It was a nice change to the more dooming atmosphere that comes with the palace of Hell, especially for Jungkook - the human use to grand and more light buildings that Earth provided.

But now there were hints of sparkle and blue, white linen draped over the curtain rails, a change from the usual crimson velvet drapes. The rugs were changed from the usual dark red to a light blue, brightening up the dark marble flooring and pillars. It was strange, seeing the darkest place so lit up and surprisingly cheerful.

Taehyung sighed, flinging open his fathers office doors, Hades sat behind his desk, glasses perched on his nose. He held an important document, reading over the latest on the bodies of angels being found around Earth. It was becoming worse and worse, bodies popping up in places that everyone least expected. It was something that was concerning not only Hades but Namjoon too, the guardian finding himself spending hours with Seokjin in the library, finding out more about the Mins.

"Father-" Taehyung started, the said man glancing up over the rim of his glasses, his lips pursed as he waited for his son to carry on. "Isn't this a little too much? It's only the Winter solace, it happens every year."

"It's not just the Winter solace, we're announcing the arrival of your cherished." Hades explained, filing the documents for later. He slipped the glasses from his face, pointing the end of the frame at Taehyung. "The people here are desperate for some good news. I have to deliver this in the best way possible."

"We're not even engaged. Or even together like that. I've barely said five words to him and you want us to announce an engagement that isn't even real?" Taehyung scoffed, placing his hands on the desk, leaning closer to his father. "Surely the people will trust you less once they find out that me and Jungkook have barely seen each other for a month."

"Then get talking to him. We need you and Jungkook to have a strong bond. Even if it is fake." Hades mumbled. "Either way, you two are going to have to marry each other. Or at least mate. You have to take over the throne."

"Can't I take over the throne alone? It's not like Jungkook can offer me an heir."

"You need stability Taehyung. Do you think you can take over from me without anyone there in case of something happening? You will die without your cherished and your cherished will die without you."

"But I-"

"Leave it Taehyung." Persephone entered the office, her heels clicking against the floor. She glanced at her husband, a teasing smile on her face. "My husband will only do what he thinks is right. The Winter solace is looking elaborate, no?" Hades chuckled, greeting his wife with a kiss, she handed him a stack of papers, pages flagged and highlighted. "Here, this has some more decorations, colour schemes, even flower arrangements."

"You're not even listening to me. It isn't about me. It's about Jungkook." Taehyung pushed, his parents not even looking at him, instead flicking through the catalogue. "Jungkook doesn't- or won't feel comfortable being displayed in front of a bunch of demons."

"We're not displaying him. We just need the people to know that your reign is coming. He'll have to attend for an hour. Two tops." Persephone flicked her hair, moving to sit on the desk. "Taehyung, dear. It's good that you're worried for Jungkook. But he has to get used to life around here. It may take time, but doesn't all the good things?"

Taehyung felt defeated, nodding his head, watching his parents converse so nonchalantly. It was good that they were going to help Jungkook, help him evolve and become accustomed to this new life that he was suddenly thrown into. But he knew that Persephone would only help so far, and Hades simply had no interest in helping Jungkook into this, expecting him to mate with Taehyung the night of their wedding.