Chapter 31

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Natasha's Pov

"Is that Cassie?" She said and pulled on Clints arm till he looked. I turned my head as well and saw two people coming.

       Hope was walking with Cassie to our spot under the tree. Thank goodness they got my message. Hopefully my plan would work, and I could find out more about Y/N and her little chosen family. Waving at them I saw Cassie run ahead of hope and the telltale rustle of clothing and patter of feet on the ground which meant Tamara had gotten up and ran as well.

       They both met in the middle and immediately started running around and giggling. Pausing for a moment I called Tamara to come back and she grabbed Cassie's hand and dragged her to the table. A few seconds later Hope strode up to the table and looked at both little girls running around.

"Good friends huh?" I said looking at her.

"Mmmm, yeah. Now about that, who is that? All I got from Cassie was her name and how amazing she is."

"Remember the older kid sitting next to me at the park this morning?" I said

"Oh yes,"

"Well she is like her older sister, and he is like her baby brother. They texted Natasha on accident but then kinda just kept talking to them. Eventually I got added to the chat and chaos ensued. I don't think they have a good home. They are very wary, so much for someone their age." Clint said folding up a napkin and throwing it into the trash.

"Yeah, earlier today I touched there back and they flinched away very fast and looked like they were in a lot of pain. They had a cover story but still, there is no way a wall could do that much damage unless you were really thrown against it or in a ton of pain." I said giving pup to Clint so I could grab my phone.

"If they could help you both I am sure they are an amazing person." Hope said taking the seat across from me and Clint.

       Just then I saw Y/N round the corner of one one the stalls. Running back they stopped dead in their tracks for a moment not knowing the newcomer but then saw Tamara playing with Cassie. Looking back at Hope they started walking back to the table. Slightly less self assured then they usually were but I hoped that would change.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Y/N's Pov

       Walking back from using the washroom the same person that stopped by me and Nat at the park was sitting at the table. She acted just like Cate? Cassie? Yes Cassie. Cassie's mother but in Natasha's hesitation she could be a family friend or something. I made it to the table and stood next to Clint. I already judged Hope and she did not seem like much of a threat, but could be if I hurt someone.

"Hello, I am Hope." The new lady said.

"Pleasure to meet you! Although or first meeting was quite fleeting. I am Batman."

       While I was saying this both Clint and Tasha looked impressed with the first part but when I got to I am Batman Clint was about to laugh but then schooled his expression and Tasha just sighed. I accepted her handshake and it looked like she was slightly amused. 

"Well my name is Y/N actually," I said breaking the handshake. "It's nice to meet you, I am glad Tamara and Cassie are such good friends." I just hoped Tamara would keep her tongue. I could lie a bit to get out of situations but I did not really like doing that. Plus Clint and Tasha were really good at finding out lies.

"Hi Y/N" Tamara said running up to me. "Hey Tam!" I said. "Having fun with your friend?"

"Yeah! A lot! Wanna play tag with us? It more fun with more people!" Tamara said actively dragging me from my standing spot next to Clint.

"I would love too but it was a really long walk this morning and I'm a little tired. Plus," I bent down and whispered into her ear  "Getting my necklace will mean I need a lot of strength, you go run and play. You will not come with me for that." Standing up I patted her head and apologized.

"Its ok Tamara, I can play if you want" Natasha offered to the five year old.

"Ok!" She said grabbing Nat's hand and pulling her to the open grass area where Cassie was blowing on dandelions.

       They played for a few minutes and we watched them, until after a little bit all three came back.

"Clint will play?" Asked Tamara still slightly out of breath. "Sure Tamara," He replied.

"I'll take pup, have fun!" I said glad to stay seated and keep my strength and speed for later.

"Hope will you play too?" Cassie asked tugging on the older woman's sleeve.

"Sure Cassie," She said and stood up.

"You going to be ok there Y/N? There is a nice spot near us against that other tree?" Nat said gesturing over to one of the few other tree's dotting this smallish strech of land.

"Pleeaaaaaaaaaase Y/N" Tamara said giving me the biggest puppy eyes.

"You know what sure." I replied. "You start to play and I will walk over."

"Have fun!"

        I watched them run around and play for another forty five minutes till the youngest members started to tire out. I was about to stand up and help with the clean up when Natasha looked and me a gave me the patented "don't you dare" glare. I had only seen it once given to Clint but I sure as hek did not want to see the consequences.

       They packed the few things we had up and walked over to me. It was hilarious because the big chicken Clint won he carried but Tasha made him walk ahead of her so he could not rethrow it. Tasha held a bag the looked to be half full probably small prizes Tamara won from the games she played. And behind everyone but infront of Hope Cassie and Tamara struggled with the big unicorn. Each had a section held over their head and the stepped and tripped all the way over to the tree I was sitting under. 

         pup started to stir in my arms from his nap probably hearing their chatter. Once they reached the tree everyone sat in a sort of bean shape. We seemed incapable of making a circle. Plus circles are regular. I would much rather sit in a pinto bean shape.

"I have an idea" Pipped Cassie from one end of the circle. Both girls were huddled together and were whispering and giggling a ton while they played so I was putting a shot in the dark and saying this was a joint idea.

"Can I show Tamara the big big BIG ant homes at home?" Cassie asked.

       I looked at Nat and Clint, they both had their best poker faces on and looked back at me. I looked to the left and saw Hope nodding slowly to Cassie. 

"As long as Y/N says Tamara can come then sure." She said and Cassie and Tamara both let out small cheers before turning to me.

"So, Y/N..." Tamara starts.