Chapter 49

I struggle against the person pulling me back towards the deserted convenience store. They have a grip of iron and their grip does not loosen a millimeter even with all my aimless flailing.

"Let go of me!" I grunt still trying my best to get free.

         I jerk my head and try to get a glimpse of who grabbed me. I catch a flash of red hair but am promptly twisted back around. Is it? I wonder, no it can't be. She has no idea. I am here, and after all, why would she be here. It's not like I am a world-endangering threat. Also, and slightly more alarming to me, how could they have found me. It's not like I publicly declared that I was going somewhere. Magic or whatever it is, I pushed it aside for now. I focused on getting myself away from whoever grabbed me. Although I stopped trying to hit them as hard as I could just in case it actually was Natasha.

"Let go!" I grunt as I try to throw myself away.

"You're only going to make this harder I swear... Is anything easy with you blue?"

I immediately stop resisting, "Natasha?" I question. I let out a hushed whisper "Is that you?"

            She pulls me back into the deserted convenience store and sighs, and motions for me to sit. I slouch against a rack of cereals and breakfast items giving a half-second to glance at the prepackaged muffins that have long since expired. For all I know they could be classified as muppets they are covered in so much mold. Don't even get me started on the freezers. They could make sewage look drinkable.

"So.." I say trying to break the silence. "Come here often?" Inwardly I cringe, I know that was stupid but it's not exactly like I can say, "Hey new friend and possible person I care for guess who snuck out of your house which you were so gracious to let me spend the night in and run across town to a sketchy street/building and act like a lunatic. I promise I have a great reason; get this.."

           We sit in silence for a few moments, and I just closely watch Natasha's face. She just stares stoically at the space right next to my head. After what feels like ages she says something.

"Explanation?" She says calmly. I am in huge trouble now.

"Fresh air?"

"I'm not buying that for even a second Y/N what in gods green earth were you thinking to go all the way across town where, may I add, the air is worse to get your "Fresh air"

"Considering that the earth is mainly ocean it would have the be gods bl-"

"You have negative seconds to explain I would better start now." Natasha says harshly through gritted teeth.

"Short version: I came to get a necklace, long version: I came to get a necklace that's the only reminder of my past family and possible exact revenge on someone I dislike," I say, surprising myself about how normal I sounded saying those words. I thought for sure I would stutter, my voice would crack, or for some reason, I would just cry.

          I lean back, careful not to knock over the cans in the self behind me. My brain going a million miles a minute and my emotions switch quicker than I can put a name or even a feeling to them.

"Alright.." Natasha says as she stands up. "Where is the necklace?"

"Um in that ugly gray-looking building."
"Your going need to be more specific."

"The ugly gray-looking building with the pink flamingo garden toy in what could be the vegetable beds," I say, hoping that was enough details.

          Natasha nods at me and starts to leave the store. I get up and start following her to the entrance. Just after she leaves Natasha closed the door and locks it from the outside.

"What the! NATASHA!" I say fuming. I have had enough setbacks for today.

"You're going to stay in there where you're less likely to be hurt. I know exactly where everything is, thank you for the help and I'll be back soon I promise."

          She walks a few steps down the road then turns around and jogs back. "I think the bottled water is still good. Also, I'm really sorry about this."

          I kick the door a few times but to no avail. It's not going to break or open anytime soon. Sighing, I settle down and watch Natasha's retreating form make its way down the darkened lane. On the corner, I see her take out a phone and have a brief conversation with someone. Hanging up, she turns around and shoots me an apologetic smile. I frown back and turn away. She better be right about everything or I am going to be severely unhappy.

         I curl up, and prepare for an uneventful night of looking at expired food labels.