Chapter 2

Rachel's POV 

Another day at the Ashford mansion, another grueling day of household chores, another helpless day earning a little more than minimum wage.

Yvette, the head maid and household coordinator, briefed us on our allocated chores today before we served breakfast. Afterwards, I was the recipient of hearing a mouthful from her because Jocelyn - who was Yvette's favourite and everybody's favourite maid- complained that my carelessness and slow work was a problem for her.

Needless to say I was in a crap mood and my exhaustion was eating me alive. Grandma's oxygen levels this morning dropped again and its only getting worse.

I was cleaning and polishing the huge double staircase that resembled one that belonged in a palace. I hated it as much as I did mopping the ground floor because it absolutely killed my already sore back and added to the ugliness of my knees.

The kneeling and bending was a constant when cleaning these demanding stairs and it took forever because they were absolutely huge, and let's not forget about the atrocious smell from the wax polish and how it stains your hands.

I could gag.

Out of the blue I heard a commotion from the foyer. I stood up and looked down from where I was on the stairs and Mr. and Mrs. Ashford, along with Madison who calmly took a seat on the sofa at the lounge, were frantic and yelling at each other. Mr. Ashford paced around while Mrs. Ashford was tapping her foot impatiently.

"Why is he coming back after all these years? I thought he died or something," Madison casually asked.

Mr. Ashford glared at her. "Lord knows why he decided to show up. I thought he left for good."

Mrs. Ashford was just as unsettled as her husband. "This could mean trouble for us William. We have to get rid of him," she urged.

Suddenly the entire aura of the house changed when a man stepped in. He had 2 suitcases with him and Mrs. Ashford's high gasp was clearly audible.

The man at the entrance menacingly laughed and looked at her.

"Oh my Therese. Look at you panicking at my arrival. And here I thought I'd be welcomed with warm open arms. What a fucking pity," he said as his deep voice dripped with sarcasm.

I felt my breath hitch in my throat when I looked at him.

He was indeed handsome. Similar to the models in the perfume adverts. Absolutely breathtaking. He was all man – midnight black hair, deep teal eyes, a chiseled jawline and a buff body under his impeccable suit.

However, I didn't fail to notice the deep scar on the left side on his face that ran all the way from his hairline right down past his neck. It was completely healed and faded, yet very prominent.

"Alexander," Mr. Ashford voiced out, "Good to see you son," he said as he walked up and held out his hand for a handshake.

Alexander looked down at the raised hand and slightly lifted his eyebrows in incredulity. Nevertheless he did reciprocate the action, however he roughly pulled Mr. Ashford forward and whispered something in his ear.

Mr. Ashford backed away and grabbed his wife's hand and went into the house at that action.

Alexander abruptly threw his suitcases in front of him and let out a deep breath. His eyes began scanning his surroundings and he analyzed everything around him. Madison sat still observing everything with her carefree nature while reading a Vogue magazine and Yvette hastily went to greet the new arrival.

"Welcome Mr. Alexander. We have been awaiting your arrival and Mr. Ashford will be very happy to see you," Yvette sweetly- yet pretentiously- voiced out. 

She was a wicked witch under that blonde hair and green eyes

Alexander was still scanning the place, it was after all huge, and in an instant his eyes landed on me. I stood still as he looked at me. His eyes raking over my maid uniform and the pot of wax polish still in my stained hands.

Yvette also looked at me and in a rude tone summoned me to take the luggage thrown in front to the guest bedroom and to welcome Mr. Alexander to his new home for the next few weeks.

I was snapped out of my dreaming when Yvette called for me again. "My goodness Rachel, I knew you were stupid, but I didn't think you were deaf too," she taunted.

I looked down in embarrassment when Mr. Alexander didn't stop staring at me. He was so intense and so handsome. 

"Sorry," I barely whispered.

"Well don't just stand there! Come take Mr. Alexander's suitcases and show him to his room."

I quickly placed the pot of the wax polish on the side of the stairs and wiped my hands on my apron as I descended.

Yvette had left the foyer and Mr. Alexander finally stepped in. He watched me pick up his 2 suitcases which was heavier than a mountain and half the size of me. I struggled as I could barely carry them. From the corner of my eye, I didn't fail to notice how he smirked at my struggle.

"Leave it princess, I don't expect a tiny thing like you to carry those."

A tiny thing? I was anything but tiny. Extremely voluptuous yet everything was in proportion, but in comparison to how huge he was, I guess I was tiny. 

He came forward and took his suitcases effortlessly before turning towards me, "Well come on, show me to my room."

I nodded and walked in front of him, guiding him to the left wing which was close to senior Mr. Ashford's room. We weren't supposed to let anyone stay there, but for some reason I led him to that guestroom away from the rest of the people living here.

I opened the door and stepped in. He did as well and closed the door. He took of his suit jacket and tie and made his way to the bathroom, to freshen up I assume.

I placed his heavy suitcases on the floor and began to unpack and set his clothes in the wardrobe. They were all wrinkled so I had to get the steamer from the laundry and then put it away.

I quickly ran down and grabbed it before he came out of the bathroom and saw his clothes all unkept.

As I was doing his clothes, he emerged from the bathroom in a black t-shirt and black sweats. He took a seat on the bed and checked his phone. I just continued to neatly place his clothes away.

"So princess, how long you've been working here for?" he asked while still looking at his phone typing away furiously.

"Just over a year," I answered.

"Hmm.. How's the old man doing? Does he really know I'm here?"

I looked at him as he stood up and looked out the window checking out the view, his back facing me.

"Mr. Ashford is doing as fine as he can. I'm not entirely sure if he was expecting you. That information doesn't reach me."

He turned around and leaned against the windowsill on his elbows watching me. I felt incredibly uncomfortable as he stared. His deep teal eyes observed my every move.

I reached the bottom of his suitcase and there was his briefs and boxers neatly stacked.

I hesitated to touch such personal items but nevertheless I did. I meekly set them in the drawer and my face was as red as a rose. My blush showing my embarrassment.

I didn't even want to look at Alexander as he watched me but I did hear his deep chuckle when I was done.

"It's just underwear... My underwear," he playfully let out and exited the room.

I quickly finished his remaining clothes, zipped up his suitcases and placed them in the storage closet. I couldn't wait for this day to be over. My level of constant exhaustion was reaching a point where burn out would be happening soon.

I really needed to sort myself out, but first back to those damn stairs.