Chapter 11

Rachel's POV

It was the worst weekend on my life. I didn't step out of the apartment nor did I leave the couch. I had the occasional breakdown and honestly, I had reached breaking point. I couldn't find it in myself to pick the pieces up and power through.

Is there even a point to continue all of this? Slogging away as a maid and waitress for the rest of my life?

I let out a breath and sat upright. I felt like a robot. Simply following a routine over and over again.

It was Monday and I had a little over an hour to get to work. I decided to take my time this morning. I had no need to rush because I didn't have to change oxygen tanks or check anyone's sugar levels, blood pressure and temperature. I just had to take care of myself now.

My life was always mundane which I had accepted but the extra loneliness I was experiencing would drive me insane. I was by all means an introvert however that didn't mean I enjoyed solitude. In fact, I despised it. I hated feeling lonely.

I checked the time on my phone as well as the notifications. There were nothing.

Not even from Alexander.

He didn't reply to my little thank you text either. I guess he was busy or ignoring me again. I don't know why and I'm trying not to care because it never does me any good. It always gives me more pain and I really can't take anymore.

I showered and slipped on my maid uniform. I grabbed my water bottle and threw it into my bag along with a prepacked bought lunch - courtesy of Alexander, and a pack of biscuits to eat on my way to the mansion. I assumed Yvette would act upon her witch tendencies and give me extra tasks since I haven't been at work.

I stepped out the bus and began eating my biscuits mindlessly while walking to the entrance of the mansion. I pushed open the massive doors and closed it behind me while I shoved the last biscuit into my mouth.

The sight in front of me made me stop dead still in my tracks. My eyes widened and I looked at everybody.

Mr. and Mrs. Ashford were standing by the dining table and Mr. Ashford was holding a wad of documents in his hands. They both looked angry and red. Alexander was opposite them in the living room not too far from me. His eyes were bloodshot red and his hands clenched in tights fist with his breathing uneven.

If I thought Mr. and Mrs. Ashford was angry, then Alexander was furious.

Madison stood in between them with her usual careless attitude and I could see senior Mr. Ashford at the top of the staircase looking down at his family. Yvette and the rest of the maids were all huddled up in the back. The atmosphere was beyond intense and looking down, I saw that broken pieces of glass littered the floor where Alexander was standing.

He was dressed in his usual black slacks and white button up shirt, but his hair was heavily unkept and his knuckles once again bruised and bleeding.

His eyes made their way to mine and he briefly glanced at me with his anger taking over his body.

Mr. Ashford mockingly laughed at Alexander. "You must be a real fucking idiot to think that Therese and I killed your sorry excuse of a father and mother. They were careless! Stupid people who didn't know how to handle themselves. So just sign these documents Alexander, and be on your merry way," he said and held up the documents in his hand.

Alexander's fists tightened even more and I was afraid he was going to break his bones. "You will never get your hands on the company. You're not the least bit entitled to it," he said through clenched teeth.

Mr. Ashford was getting frustrated. "And you think you are entitled to it? Where have been all these years when I was the one taking care of it?!" he screamed.

Now it was Alexander who menacingly laughed. "I know that taking over that company is your biggest pathetic dream and it rightfully belonged to my father so obviously you took the so called easy route and decided to get rid of the obstacle once and for all. Hell I don't even care for it, but just to spite you, I'll make sure you never get any of my shares."

Mr. Ashford tried to leap forward for Alexander but Mrs. Ashford held him back.

"Listen here, you do not accuse me of such things. I do not take it kindly when I am insulted," Mr. Ashford seethed out with blazing fury. "Just sign the fucking documents!"

Alexander was filled with bubbling rage at the point. He looked for the closest object near him which was a glass coffee table and he aggressively flipped it causing thousands of glass pieces to litter the entire floor.

Senior Mr. Ashford was simply watching the events pan out and he made no move stop anything. Madison had left through the back door by now and I could hear the faint cry of Lilly from her nursery. I hope that her nanny tends to her properly.

"Your father was weak! Just like you are. Your standards are already so low. Utterly fucking weak!" again Mr. Ashford yelled while Alexander turned his back to them trying to calm himself. Although he was failing miserably at that.

This time Mrs. Ashford spoke up in support of her husband. "Your shitty father married that piece of scum you call your mother and here you are also fucking around with scum. You think we don't notice how you keep your eye on her?" she then looked at me as if I was some piece of sidewalk trash.

Now that seemed to cause it for Alexander because he lost it and his temper came out. Swiftly he turned around and took long strides to where Mrs. Ashford was, and in an instant he slapped her hard. A wide variety of audible gasps were heard from all the maids huddled in the back.

He tried to go for Mr. Ashford however 2 guards held him back by his arms as he profusely tried to break free.

Mrs. Ashford took refuge in her husband and he embraced her holding her bruised cheek. He looked at Alexander with an incomprehensible amount of hate. "How dare you slap Therese for a fucking maid!"

Alexander was still restrained by the 2 guards trying his best to break free. "Fucking let me go!" he struggled. He kicked both of then on their knees and broke free. He huffed in anger and adjusted himself facing Mr. Ashford.

He pointing his finger at them, "You can insult me, but if I hear you talk about my mother like that and Rachel as well, I will end you both," he said almost inaudibly with venom laced through his voice.

I looked up and saw senior Mr. Ashford still in the previous position he was in with his face still unreadable. How is he simply watching his family assault each other?

Alexander gave them another glare and took a few steps back. He dusted of his shirt and began walking back to his room however it seemed as if Mr. Ashford wasn't done.

"So defensive for a low-life maid, Alexander? Your mother must have truly left an impression on you," Mr. Ashford shook his head in ridicule with a sly smile playing on his face. "The apple clearly does not fall far from the tree, go on marry her then," he said and pointed to me. "Fucking marry the bitch then!" he screamed the loudest he ever has.

Alexander growled out and went to Mr. Ashford and grabbed his collar. He lifted his arm in the arm to punch him but stopped himself. Instead he pushed him and ran his hand through his hair in frustration.

"You know what? I will. Let's see how you handle that you bastard," and with that statement Alexander aggressively walked to me, roughly grabbed my wrist and dragged me to his room.