Chapter 41

Alexander's POV

2 Weeks Later

Replaying the events in my mind every single day had me going mad. I couldn't stop the thoughts. It's as if they made it their mission to haunt me. Thinking about the state I saw Rachel in when I entered that cellar, thinking about how close William was to having his way with her, thinking about all the blood that poured out of Rachel when she got shot, thinking about the lifeless bodies of Jocelyn and Therese, thinking about the unfathomable torture I had inflicted upon William until he finally died in my hands...

She took a bullet for me.

If she hadn't pushed me out of the way, I'd be the one shot. Not her.

She took a fucking bullet for me.

Now here I was in the hospital suite watching over Rachel as she stayed asleep taking her own sweet time to awake. She's really putting me through the most, I just want her to wake up and come home with me.

It's been a whole 2 weeks and she refuses to respond to anything. Her body had shut down but I knew my Rachel was a fighter. I knew she's just punishing me for everything that I had done. She knows how mad I'm going without her and this little princess must be enjoying seeing me in despair like this.

I shook my head bitterly and looked outside the window feeling defeated. I've practically moved in this hospital suite with her refusing to go home. It's either I stay here with her, or she wakes her beautiful self up and comes home with me. Seeing that she decided to sleep for as long as possible, this hospital suite was my new home.

I haven't been to work and lord knows what the hell is happening with my business. I haven't charged my phone in 2 weeks and I was looking like a haggard 50 year old man at this point. I honestly couldn't care about anything except Rachel.

How would I ever survive without her?

I woke up from sitting on the windowsill and staring out at the bleak grey skies. I unwrapped the little mini cake from the box and set it on a plate. Red velvet with cream cheese – Rachel's absolute favourite.

I lit a lone candle and placed it in the middle of the cake walking over to her. I sat down and looked at her gorgeous yet pale face. She was so beautiful, a real sight for sore eyes. I just craved to see her amazing brown eyes staring back at me.

"Happy birthday, princess."

I simply stared at her and tried my absolute best to not break down again. How could this girl have such a great affect on me. How did she hold so much power over me?

"Happy birthday, princess," I said again and blinked rapidly trying to push the tears away.

"Aren't you going to blow out your candle?"

No response. No movement. Nothing.

"It's alright, I won't rush you. I'll blow it out for you okay?" I said and unenthusiastically blew out the candle for her.

"It's your first birthday with me and we're spending it in the hospital. We were supposed to do something special. I was supposed to go all out for you. Please just wake up, princess," I whispered with a tight feeling in my chest.

I set the cake down and rubbed my hands over my tired face. The hospital phone rang and I reached over answering it.

"Mr. Viotto?" asked the receptionist in a sickening sweet voice.

"Hmm?"

"Your grandfather has been trying to get in contact with you as well as the police. Should I forward your grandfther's-"