Chapter 30

Rachel's POV

Another few weeks passed by without me seeing or talking to Alexander. We were back to strangers and I spent most of my time with my friends. We went out quite often and Julia made it routine to assist me every day after school with my lecture readings. I didn't really need the help but we were both too lonely for our own good. We mostly ended up watching movies and eating food with the others occasionally joining us.

Coming home today I was surprised to see that Alexander was home before me. He usually stayed out quite late and then went back into his study. It was Friday and I had made plans with Amir to help him pick out his suit for his sister's engagement party next week.

I stepped into the house and saw that Alexander was pacing around everywhere while yelling into his phone barbarically. Various documents where carelessly left on the dining room table and I tried to read it as fast as I could but failed since I was a very slow reader who took a bit longer than the average person.

Alexander quickly grabbed it out of my vision and went upstairs to his study but not before sending me a dirty glare at prying. However I never fail to see the first few paragraphs and highlighted sections.

Following him upstairs, I barged into the room not caring that he was on the phone. He saw me enter and gave me a fierce look but I went to his desk and grabbed the documents again reading it properly. I looked up at him in disbelief as I had held the sheet of paper in my hand.

He finished his call and threw his phone on the table sighing. I opened my mouth to speak but he cut me off before I could even begin.

"Save the damn speech, Rachel," he said nonchalantly and grabbed the sheet of paper from my hands.

"Why would you go through with such a thing?" I asked disappointed. The documents had a list of shareholders and investors that were convinced to pull out from their association with Ashford and Co. ultimately bankrupting the corporation. It was all on Alexanders account and he had already managed to dispel 60% of investors and benefactors.

"God Rachel, leave me alone. This doesn't concern you at all. Get out."

I stood my ground at his ignorance. "You're destroying your grandmothers' legacy and letting thousands of people go without jobs just because you feel like it?" I was always told that it was Cathleen Ashford who took it upon herself to start the company. She took her inheritance from her father and helped her husband to create the Ashford legacy that was very prominent today.

Alexander turned around and blatantly ignored me.

"You're really going to destroy your family name? Let all your grandmother's hard work go down the drain and thousands of families suffer because of retrenchment?" I grabbed the sheet of paper back from him and tore it into shreds. He didn't need to go through with this. I know what those families would have to go through if they lost their income and I didn't want that for them.

Ashford and Co. was a huge corporation with thousands of employees. The corporation dabbled in ethical and social responsibility as well. Even if it was for publicity, the factions of charities helped many people around the world and here Alexander was taking it upon himself to destroy it.

"Alexander, answer me."

He growled out loud in annoyance and strode towards me angrily. Roughly he held my arms with his nails digging into my skin.

"Drop it, Rachel. I said this doesn't concern you so leave it alone!" His eyes were blazing with fury and I winced in pain.

"You're hurting me, let go," I said and tried to get out of his grip. "Alexander, let go of me!" I screamed at him.