Part 4: Mackenzie's Point of View

I walk into the room with as much confidence as I can gather. "Mackenzie, I just put up with a lot of crap with Chloe so I'm going to need you to be perfect," 

Oh please don't say it... 

"...like your sister." She finishes.

Ugh Ms. Abby is always comparing me to Maddie, it really isn't fair! Even my mother and stepfather prefer Maddie. In fact, none of them even pay attention to me. 

One time, in a radio interview, when my mom was asked about her daughters all she talked about was Maddie. When she was asked about me, she said, "Mackenzie? Oh, her yeah she's fine." 

"Yes Ms. Abby." I forgot the dance for a second, but then I remembered it. The music starts I run into a switched-split leap and then a forward roll. And then, what do you know?

"MACKENZIE!! YOU SHOULD HAVE PRACTICED AT HOME!! WHAT DO YOU THINK I DO THIS FOR?! MY HEALTH?!" When a tear falls I hear the worst, "I BETTER SEE NO TEARS MACKENZIE YOU ARE 9 YEARS OLD YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO LEARN A DANCE IN 2 DAYS!!" 

I've seen Ms. Abby be mean before, but not like this. I wonder what happened with her today? I keep dancing.

Soon I'm not feeling well. See, my perfect sister Maddie asked if we could have Chipotle for lunch. I hate Chipotle! But since Maddie wanted it, we got it. 

When I was 5, I over heard my mom saying that she spent $150 on Maddie's win in the previous week. When she saw that I was listening, she locked me in a closet until I promised I would never tell anyone Maddie's wins were fake, not even Maddie. 

I wished more than anything to tell Christi and Chloe about our secret, but then my mom would make me live in a closet. 

"First Chloe, then you? My whole team is falling apart!!" Abby was more upset than ever. It's not fair that I'm always upset because people put me down because they think my sister is amazing? 

"You have a jazz-acrobatics class in 15 minutes, go get ready." She says will a nasty tone in her voice. I leave for class with my self-esteem lower than the ground itself.