51: what happened?

TW: this chapter deals with some heavy topics as does others in this story. don't want to spoil anything but topic of guns/violence is included

x, purplebookworm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cool, crisp air of the early December morning brought comfort as Piper and I were on our way to class, each with a hot tea in our hands. Relishing in the warmth it brought to our senses as we were bundled up in multiple layers of clothing. No snow had fallen yet but everyone knew it wouldn't be long until a thick white blanket covered everything in sight. Christmas break was coming in a week and all the decorations and lights brought some color and cheer to the otherwise plain campus.

Piper was finally going to visit her parents and she was nervous, rightfully so. Bill offered to drive her to the airport which made a huge smile cross my face, the care he had for not only me but the people important to me was something i deeply cherished.

Walking to class i listened to Piper talk about the gift she had planned for Sam, and the little get together we were all having to exchange gifts and watch Christmas movies this Friday night. Bill was also invited and despite the hesitation at first we decided he could join because everyone in our friend group knew we were together anyways. Sams reaction was one of surprise but he quickly got used to it as Piper and i would often talk about us and he realized Bill really cared about me, and vice versa. Suddenly we saw a large group form in front of a bulletin board outside the administrations building. Not wanting to join the crowd we watched as more and more people gathered. Not having any clue as to what could be going on Piper grabbed my elbow, nudging me to look as the Dean hurriedly came out the entrance door, pushing past students.

"Everyone get to class!" Her voice was loud as she shouted through the crowd.

Just getting a glimpse of her face as she talked with some of the students we knew something wasn't right.

"Let's get out of here" Piper said as she pulled me away.

*

The events of that morning were soon forgotten though as i sat in Bill's class, typing away on my laptop as he lectured. Briefly glancing out the large window on the other side of the room i noticed snow started to fall. The string lights which he had hung up the other week twinkled and it brought a warm fuzzy feeling to the room. Taking a sip of his coffee the only sound now filling the room was everyone typing as we frantically kept up with all the information. As he began speaking again he was interrupted by the phone ringing from his office. Everyone sat patiently, a few taking the time to stretch or whisper to one another.

"Class!" Bills voice called, getting everyone's attention, "I'm going to need you all to quietly get up and come into my office." He was calm but also an aura of urgency lingered with every word. "Now."

We all did as we were told and Bill hushed us as a quiet murmur filled the room, but once he did that everyone went silent. I made eye contact with him as i passed by and i could see something behind his eyes. Walking over to the class door he locked it, grabbing my chair which was closest and placing it beside it. Closing the office door after him he grabbed the phone which he'd laid down on his desk and quietly spoke with the person on the other side. Before hanging up he did a head count of everyone and nodded before hanging up. It was a tight fit in the room with having 40+ kids all inside his small office.

"Listen up everyone" his voice was barely above a whisper. "Pretty soon Dean Yara will come over the intercom and alert everyone we are in lockdown."

All the colour drained from everyone's face as we processed what was happening.

"What's happening?" someone asked, speaking for the resting of us.