33: surprise

(N/N)- nickname

"I knew you weren't" Piper said as she took another bite of her salad.

We were having dinner together in the common room later that night but I didn't have much of an appetite. Looking back up at her from my plate I just nodded.

"What's up?" She asked.

"I don't know..."

"(Y/N)" she reached across the table to hold my hand, "it's okay."

"I'm just embarrassed."

"I know."

We sat in silence for a moment before she cleared her throat. "When I was in highschool, I had this boyfriend-" she leaned back in her chair, crossing her arms "-we were dating for a while, like I don't know maybe 5 months and-" she paused for a moment "- and he was starting to get antsy cause we hadn't had sex yet. I was nervous cause I was still a virgin at the time but after some begging I gave in. My mom was pretty old school so the thought of getting her 15 year old birth control was off the table so we had to... improvise. Long story short, no birth control and some of his parents old condoms... You know. So trust me, I get it."

I sat in silence, taking in everything she just told me. This was the most she's opened up about her past since I've known her. I just nodded as I didn't know what else to say.

"Hey!" We heard someone say.

Looking over I saw a smiling Rider headed towards our table.

"Who's that?" Piper asked.

Before I could answer Rider was standing in front of us.

"How's it going?"

"Uh, good" I smiled. "This is Piper my roommate... This is Rider, a friend.

They shook hands and both of their eyes returned to me.

"So, you two having dinner?" He asked.

"Yeah we were just about finished."

"Mind if I join you?"

I looked over to Piper who gave me a look.

"Sure."

Rider sat down beside me and as he was getting comfortable Piper raised her eyebrows, causing me to sigh to myself.

"So, how do you two know eachother?" Piper asked breaking the silence.

"We-" both Rider and I said at the same time.

"We met here actually, on an earlier morning coffee run..." He smiled.

"Oh" Piper said as she took a sip of her tea.

Silence once again fell over us.

"So..." Rider then spoke up. "Anything new?"

"Not much..." I said, finally taking a bite of my salad. "You?"

"Well we won our meet last weekend" he beamed.

"Meet?" Piper asked.

"I do track, relay and long jump specifically."

"Good for you" I gave him a small smile.

"Are you Thomas's brother?" Piper spoke up.

"Yeah."

"I thought I recognized you from somewhere! He's one smart cookie."

Rider cleared his throat as he chuckled, "that he is."

Piper slapped her hands onto the table as she got up, "I have to head back, gotta study..."