9

-

Taeyong's legs we're shaking when he finally reached the coffee shop. It was freezing outside, he could see his own breath in form of few clouds of fog every time he exhaled.

It was so early in the morning, his eyes were sticking together whenever he blinked, the tiredness still resting on his eyelids.

Looking up at the neon green sign that was already on and flickering, he read "Neo city". Since it was way before the opening hours of the shop, he came up to it and knocked on the glass door.

In matter of seconds, Donghyuck's face appeared on the other side and he smiled brightly, before opening up the entrance for Taeyong to come in.

"For what reason did I have to run here and freeze my ass off in the cold, Hyuck?" Taeyong exclaimed instead of a greeting once he was inside the warm room. "It better be worth it. I could still be sleeping right now."

"Sorry," Donghyuck spoke apologetically, rubbing the back of his head. Just then could Taeyong notice how the boy seemed a little down. His smile was forced and it was obvious something must have happened.

Taeyong sighed. "It's okay... Don't mind it. Now, tell me what happened."

"Firstly... Do you want some coffee? I can make some to-go, so you can take it to work," Donghyuck suggested and Taeyong was more than glad to accept the offer.

The two moved to the bar. Taeyong sat on one of the high chairs with one skinny leg and Donghyuck walked around it to get to all the machines.

He started to work quickly, his skilled hands making the coffee on their own, without him having to even think about what he was doing.

"Tell me what's wrong, kiddo," Taeyong spoke up after there was silence for a few moments. The sadness was just seeping out of the other and it was more and more visible by each second.

Donghyuck's back was facing Taeyong for a long time, so it was surprising for him to see tears falling down the younger's cheeks once he turned around again, holding the finished coffee with now trembling hands.

Taeyong has never seen Donghyuck cry like this before. He was trying to hold it together, but there were sobs begging to come out of his mouth.

"I'm sorry," Donghyuck cried, drying all the tears with a sleeve and covering his face. "I am sorry for b-breaking down like this."

"It's really okay, I'm here for you," Taeyong coaxed, reaching out over the bar to stroke Donghyuck's shoulder reassuringly. "Calm down and tell me... Is it about Mark?"

Hyuck nodded, letting out small sniffles.

"Well, did you fight? Or what happened?"

"I feel like I'm not good enough for him, Tae..."

Taeyong's eyes widened. He never expected these words to come out of this boy's mouth who always only spoke confidently about himself. He was now sobbing uncontrollably, covering his mouth with his hand to keep at least some noises in.

"That's nonsense, Hyuck!" Taeyong exclaimed and walked around the bar to get closer. He hugged Donghyuck tightly and stroked his back. The boy was now crying into his shoulder.

"He probably thinks I'm so annoying," Donghyuck's muffled voice echoed through the empty spacious room. "Am I being too mean? Do you think he'll leave me?"

Taeyong sighed deeply. "Look, Hyuck. Just because you like to joke around doesn't mean that it's bad. You like to have fun and that's okay. I've never seen anyone so patient with you before Mark. If you saw the way he looks at you when you're not looking, you wouldn't be here crying now. He's literally willing to give up everything for you...so, don't overthink anything, okay?"

"Was Jaehyun willing to give up everything for you back then?" Donghyuck asked by a whisper, making Taeyong freeze in slight shock. "I didn't know you when you dated, but when Jaehyun was telling us about your past, it seemed like he loved you, yet...you had to break up."

"That's different, Hyuckie," Taeyong said. "You and Mark won't end up like Jaehyun and I."

"How do you know?"

"Because, I know. You and Mark are a polar opposite of us. Your relationship is special, Jaehyun and I...what we had... It was just a regular love that didn't last long."

The two pulled away from the hug and Taeyong said the last sentence straight into Donghyuck's face. The boy bit his lower lip and then looked down in thought. He wasn't crying anymore, but his eyes were still red as well as his small nose.

"I love Mark..." Hyuck whispered. "And I'm sure you used to love Jaehyun. I don't think it's any different."

"Hyuck... When you're in relationship, you can't constantly think about your possible break-up in the future. Don't overthink it and just focus on what's happening now." Taeyong ruffled Donghyuck's hair, grabbed the coffee he made and had placed on the bar before they hugged. "Thanks for the coffee. Don't be sad now, okay?"

Donghyuck nodded, lips forming into a small pout. "Don't tell Mark about this, okay? I don't want him to worry," he muttered shyly.

"Sure thing, kid," Taeyong laughed. "I'll go now."

"Okay, but promise me one more thing." Donghyuck stopped him before he could even turn around.

"Yea?"

"Give Jaehyun a chance... I'm not saying you should date or whatever, but at least... Try to forgive him. I think it'd help both of you."

Taeyong felt his heart skip a beat. It's been two days since he last spoke to Jaehyun when they did the photoshoot. Through that time, he didn't really think about him, until now when Donghyuck brought it up. He didn't think he could forgive Jaehyun, let alone be close to him again.

But, he nodded with a smile at Donghyuck and after that, left Neo city back into the cold morning. Well, it was much warmer than before thanks to the sun which was now shining right into his face.

He walked to the convenience store where he worked. It would still be too early, but at least, he could have enough time to restock some missing items.

When he finally reached the building, he was surprised to see the front door was already unlocked and he came inside to meet his boss who stood in front of the retail with a hand resting on his hip and holding the phone with an annoyed look on his face.

"Ten?" Taeyong called out to get his attention.

"Oh god Taeyong! You haven't been picking up my calls! Thank god you came!" the boss exclaimed and went up to him. "I forgot to tell you yesterday to come early to work."

Taeyong took out his phone with a frown, unlocking it to see many missed calls from the boss. "Oh, I'm sorry, I must have had my phone on mute... And, uhm, what are we doing?"

"Well," Ten sighed. "I hired a photographer to have a little photoshoot before we open today... I was thinking making some posters to promote our store with you as a model... You have a pretty face, so let's put it to use. Oh! The photographer is coming!"

Taeyong raised his eyebrow and turned around to see the photographer, but who came inside the store was not who he expected.

"Hey," Jaehyun greeted.

-

🐥