part twenty-eight

the one with disappearances.

part twenty-eight

"She's not here."

Renjun and Jeno lean against the wall. Juno is still nowhere to be found, even though Jeno can almost swear that he saw her by the front table just moments ago. Anxiety pools at the pit of his stomach. Maybe he's overreacting, but his gut's telling him that something isn't right.

"Do you guys know where Juno went?" Reina is glancing around the room as she approaches the two boys, Livi right behind her.

"No, we thought you would," Renjun says.

"Maybe she just went to the washroom or something?" Livi suggests, but the uneasy tapping of her manicured fingers against her thigh doesn't match her casual words. "She'll probably be back soon."

They wait, but everyone's jittery. Jeno can tell the others are just as worried as he is, even though they're technically not sure of anything yet. But can you blame them? In a place where two students have been murdered in this first semester, uneasiness is a given.

Jeno pushes that thought out of his head. Don't be stupid, he chides himself. "I'm sure she's fine," he finally says aloud, more for his benefit than the others'.

But everyone begins to doubt that when precisely twenty-eight more minutes pass with no sign of the violet-haired girl. The large group is now seated on the floor, but no one is playing any games now. Mark breathes in deeply before speaking. "Okay, nobody panic. She might've gone downstairs or something."

Jeno doubts that, but he keeps that thought to himself.

Haechan's brows furrow, cheeks flushed because he too, like Jaemin, has had a few too many drinks. "She could've just gone back to her dorm," he says, not sounding particularly concerned.

"Noona would've told someone if she did," Jisung says. His expression is worried.

"Well, it's not like we're not going to do any good sitting here," Livi announces. She gets up, dress miraculously unwrinkled as she slips back into her heels. "Reina and I will head downstairs and check. Some of you can stop by her room, others can look in the pool or library or other places she could be. Take your phones in case someone finds her, and we'll meet back here if no one does."

The rest stare at her for a moment, uncomprehending her authoritative words. But nobody questions her directives; they all just get up and move quietly. Jeno shoots a look at Jaemin and Haechan, the two most inebriated. "You guys stay here, in case she comes back." He narrows his eyes at them. "I mean it. Don't move."

They do what they're told with little protest. Haechan extends his body so that he's lying on the floor, head in his friend's lap. "Wake me up when we're ready to go," he yawns, hiccupping.

Jaemin's sight is still a little blurry, but he's feeling decidedly more sober in comparison to moments before. He pushes Haechan's head off his legs, scowling. "Our friend is missing and you want to take a nap?"

"Your friend," the boy corrects. "And you guys are just being dramatic; she's probably fine."

Jaemin is about to retort, but a soft voice cuts in before he can. "Jaem." Chaewon is standing above him, giggling at his red face and sluggish movements. "Come on, let's go."

His face scrunches up in confusion. "Where?" he asks.

"Back to your room," she replies, voice holding just a slight hint of innuendo. "People are starting to leave."

"But I can't," he says, brows scrunching together. "We have to find Juno."

Chaewon's pretty features twist into a displeased frown. "Find Juno?" she repeats.