Chapter 4

A loud clash of thunder slammed into the house, shaking it. I jolted awake, along with Kenzie. "What the hell was that?" I pointed outside to the on going thunder storm. It's been raining since six o'clock this morning, taking a break at 4pm, letting me walk home, but as I was almost home, the rain started to pour once again.

I turned to look at my alarm clock. Great. 4am. All of a sudden another crash of thunder hit the house, followed by a strike of lightning up the sky. This caused all the power to go out. We heard a scream coming from Olivia's room. We both got up, and ran to her room.

As I was turning to go into Olivia's room, I slammed my toe into her door frame. Falling on the floor hugging my baby toe, Kenzie ran past me to comfort her little sister. I just laid there trying not to ball my eyes out. Mother fucker. I have no clue why stubbing your toe hurts so damn bad, but I despise it.

When the pain subsided a little, I decided to get up and comfort the crying Olivia. I couldn't see what my toe looked like, due to the power outage.

I slowly stood up, being careful to not put any pressure on my toe, and hobbled over to the toddler bed. I sat on the side of Olivia that Kenzie wasn't at. As soon as I did, I felt the child crawl into my lap, resting her head on my chest. Hearing her little sniffles broke my heart.

"I don't understand how your so good with her." I heard Kenzie say as I rock back and forth with the upset child.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't know. I've known her since she was born."

"Yeah, but so have I." I could hear a hint of jealousy in her voice. I scooted closer to her, resting my head on her shoulder. I smiled.

"Kenzie, you are great with her. She loves you more than anything. Maybe, she didn't want your hair in face." I said, pointing out that her hair was down, and mine was in the messy bun from yesterday morning. Kenzie gently laughed at me.

My toe was still throbbing, I need to see what it looked like, which means I need to find my phone. In the dark. I gently hand Olivia to Kenzie. "Hey, I need to look at my toe, so I'm going to find my phone. Anyways, what are we going to do for breakfast without no power?

Kenzie eyed me. "Hmm, Maybe, I don't know. Cereal?" I could hear the sarcastic tone in her voice. I flipped her off, just as another strike of lightning shot across the sky, making it visible to Kenzie. She laughed as she started to rock Olivia again, hoping the upset child will fall back asleep.

As I walk into my room, this time being careful of where I step. I found my nightstand, and felt around for my phone, not finding it on there. God damn. Where did I put it this time? I checked around the floor, seeing if maybe it fell on the floor. I couldn't find it. Where the hell could it be? I could of sworn I put it on my nightstand, but I guess not.

I flopped down on my bed, my butt landing on something hard. My phone! I reached under me, and grabbed it. Hopefully, it's charged. I pressed the Home Screen, seeing my phone light up. The brightness was to high, and it hurt my eyes. I squinted my eyes, so I can see enough to turn it down.

After my brightness was turned down, I could see I had a message, it was from a random number I didn't know. I unlocked my phone, and checked the message. Probably spam.

I read the message. It wasn't spam, It said it was from Tilly. She was reminding me to finish my project. Which I did when I got home. I sent her a text back.
Ellie: Thanks Mrs. Sanders. I did finish it, sorry for the late response.

I turned on my flashlight so I could find some clothes to wear. My phone said it only 4:30am, but looks like none of us are going to get anymore sleep. Well, maybe Olivia. I was going to be one grumpy motherfucker.