Collar

For the record, it's movie-style ninjas but their voices belong to the show plus personalities.

><><><

It was late into the night and Cole couldn't sleep. This explained why was laying on the lower roof just outside of his window staring at the night sky. A shooting star went by...

"Wish I knew for sure that I'm making mom proud," he thought not noticing the shooting star at all.

He did notice that someone or something had sneezed. Shooting up into a sitting position, Cole looked around to find a wolf staring back.

"Is that the wolf Jay was talking about?" he thought tilting his head. The wolf copied him.

Cole waved, the wolf waved back. He got up and went in a circle, the wolf stood and went in a circle before climbing up to the lower rooftop.

"I guess Jay was right," he said as the wolf approached him. It was reddish-brown with blue eyes with a collar around its neck. "Your name is Dice?"

The wolf wobbled his head almost as if it was saying "kinda".

"And you understand English... It's official. I'm in some kind of fanfic about werewolves."

"Dice" placed his paw over his snout as he shook his head. It almost looked like he was laughing. He wasn't wrong, but he wasn't right either.

"Well, you kinda remind me of my new neighbor, Jay, so I guess I'll call you Jay. Okay?"
He stood and nudged Cole.
"I guess that's a yes."

What Cole didn't know was that there was a watchful eye sitting in the tree across from his house...

It was a nice Sunday morning when Cole and Jay the human walked around the town on their way to school. No, they didn't have Sunday School, Jay thought it would be best to show Cole what's near the school just in case he wanted to get a little something during lunch.

"And here is Chen's Noodle House where my friends and I get lunch," said Jay as he looked into the window.

"There was a noodle house where I lived, but it didn't look as nice as this one," replied Cole as he looked inside. "It's a shame they removed puffy potstickers from the menu... I wonder why..."

"Oh, it's because the owner went missing."

"What?"

"A while ago, the new owner of Chen's Noodle House Company, Skylar, had gone missing a while ago so the former 'right-hand man', Clouse I think, took over in her stay removing puffy potstickers in her honor."

"That sounds... kinda silly..."

"Agreed, but I'm happy knowing that The Die seem interested in finding her."

"The who now?"

"The Die. Like... more than one dice? They're one of the local gangs. They're the nicer ones and more unique since they're a group of animals!"
Cole gave him a questionable look.
"I'm serious! You'll see what I mean in time, but if you see someone with a mask tattooed on them, try not to make eye contact with any of them! They're from the other gang called The Only."

"ONI!" said a new voice as she got closer. The owner of this voice had jet black hair as well, but it was tied in a high ponytail as she wore a black and white striped shirt, ripped blue jeans, a black jacket, a dark blue bandana around her neck, and combat boots. "O-N-I, not o-n-l-y."

"Right... H-hi, Nya."

"Hey, Jay. Who's this?"

"I'm Cole Steel. Jay's new neighbor," he said while offering his hand. Nya took it shaking it.

"Nya Smith," she replied. "So why was The Oni brought up?"

"Jay was telling me about the gangs. I'll take his word that one gang is nicer than the other, but animals? What, the wolf that lives near us is one of their pets, right?"

"Actually, yes," said Jay.

"Huh?"

"One of The Die is a wolf with a dark blue collar around his neck. All of The Die has a collar with the word 'Dice' on the front and their animal name on the back."
Cole's jaw dropped.
"What's wrong? You look like you saw a ghost."

"I think the wolf that lives near us is a Dice and I saw him last night..."

"That's nice," said Nya with a smile.

" 'Nice'?! It's a gang member that came to my house and I called him Jay as a bit of a joking nickname! Surely he or the others won't like that!"

Jay and Nya looked at each other then back at Cole with a small smile across their faces.

"You'd be surprised with what they're okay with," said Nya.

"Yeah, like this one time where Fox, the most hot-headed of The Die, was driving The Bandwagon and the guy in front of him accidentally backed into him on a red light. You'd think he'd lose his cool, but he didn't. After the situation was explained, everything was okay! But there is one that you shouldn't piss off at all."

"Yeah... She's scary if people push her buttons too many times."

"Whatever you do, don't piss off Tigress. She's the leader of The Die and she has blood on her-"

Nya had covered Jay's mouth with a nervous smile.

"While it may be true that both gangs have spilled blood, that doesn't mean that The Die killed for no reason!" she said. "The people they killed is less than The Oni's and I heard it was mostly revenge."

"If they wanted justice served, shouldn't they have turned the ones they killed in while they were alive?"

"About that," said Jay. "Except Tigress, all of The Die had died once."

"...okay, I've heard enough about The Die and The Oni. Let's change the topic!"

Cole couldn't believe what he was hearing. A gang of undead people? They had to be trying to pull his leg! Wait, was this the reason why his new home was cheap? His father said that the house was in great condition, but it was ridiculously cheap for a house of its kind. Maybe Cole shouldn't take their words lightly...

><><><

Word Count: 1026...