Chapter 9

TW: blood, killing, and gore of animals.

Nessa flinched at the awful sound of Tom snapping the rat's neck for the tenth time. The small squeals coming from it before he took its life. She supposed he was telling the truth about not minding getting his hands dirty. They were able to find rats due to their target's house being near a restaurant that should be closed down because of their invasion of rodents. She pushed the bucket towards him so he could drain the blood, he was using the obsidian blade because he apparently had standards to not infect the kitchen knives with rat blood. The bucket was half filled with blood and organs, the bodies and the bones were set aside.

"Write a warning." Tom said as he continuing draining the rat. Nessa was proud of herself that she brought gloves, she didn't want any of it on her skin. She leaned over to catch a glimpse of the bucket before backing away trying to fight the urge to gag. She was used to seeing blood and smelling it but she wasn't used to the filth that the rats were rolled in.

"Like what?" She asked as she put on the rubber gloves. She did offer one glove to Tom but he refused.

"Something that will keep her in the house for awhile." She had an idea but it was a simple one. Dipping two of her fingers into the bucket she started writing on the door step with her back towards the front door. When she finished she wiped the blood off, proud that she didn't mess it up and it fit.

You're next.

It was facing the front door so when the woman would open it, it would be the first thing she sees. She turned to Tom who was wrapping a rope around the rat's neck. Nessa noticed how he seemed to know what he was doing, as if he did it before.

"You seem to know what you're doing." She commented, Tom ignored her as he stood up to measure how high he was going to hang the rat. There was hook already at the door meant for wreaths for Christmas. He wanted it to be directly at her eye level, he turned to Nessa and called her over.

"Stand close to the rat."

"Excuse me?" Tom rolled his eyes and grabbed her wrist pulling him close to him and the rat.

"You're about the same height as her, I want the rat to be at her eye level." He held up the cut open rat and she scrunched her face in disgust, he took out the organs and only it's bones were there. She leaned against the door and looked away from its body as he put it close to her. He hummed in satisfaction and tied the rat. The way he tied made the dead rat swing a bit, it caused some of its blood to splat on Nessa's cheek. Her mouth slightly opened and her eyes closed trying not to freak out that rat blood was on her face. Tom only smirked, he enjoyed seeing her trying not to freak out.

"Can..you please wipe it off?" She whispered swallowing between her words. Tom glanced at his hands which were still covered in blood.

"I'd only get more blood on you." Her hands balled into fists, she was within seconds from screaming. He sighed and grabbed the hem of her skirt before using the blade to cut a big fabric of it.

"My skirt!" She squealed, her loudness got her pinned against the wall with Tom's hand covering her mouth. Their bodies pressed together, her eyes widened seeing him looking as if he was about to murder her. His jaw clenched and the pressure he was putting on her mouth with his hand was hurting her. There was more blood on her now.

"Be quiet." That's all he said but it send uncomfortable shivers down her spine. Normally it didn't sound like a threat but coming from him it was. He used the fabric of her skirt to wipe the blood around her mouth, she made small whimpers due to him being a little rough when he was cleaning her face. When he was done he handed it to her. "Here, a souvenir. Let's go."