Chapter 19

TW: DEATH

"Nessa what did I tell you?" Dr. Evans asked, his arms crossed and he gave her a very stern look. Nessa pretended to act like she was thinking as she tapped her index finger on her chin.

"Was it about the hemophilia blood sample? I was careful with it." Nessa answered.

"Nessa." He said her name.

"I have been flossing more than ever." Nessa promised. Her logic was the more she ate sweets, the more she had to floss.

"Well, your gum seemed to stay the same. But I really need you to cut back on the sweets. I'm going to have to tell your mother." Dr. Evans said before going over to a counter to write a note. Nessa said nothing, there was no use of fighting. She would have to endure not eating sweets for the remaining of Christmas break.

The room was silent, just the sound of the clock ticking and the sound of Dr. Evans' pen scribbling against the paper. Nessa shifted her body around so she can look at him.

"I talked to my mother about what you told me about Tom. Don't worry I didn't mention your name. She said it was true. But I was also wondering if I can ask you more about it?" Nessa asked, Dr. Evans seemed to be unaffected of her question and only glanced at her before going over there with the note in his hand.

"Your mother couldn't answer any more of your dangerous question?" He teased.

"Well she was quite busy with her usual antics. You were the first one to bring it up, and therefore you are the one that will receive my dangerous questions." Nessa said. The handsome dentist had no room to play her games, he lowered her seat and got up.

"Let's go and inform your mother about your health." Nessa sighed and followed him.

...

"After this can we go to a bakery?"

"Dr. Evans just said no sweets. Nessa." Delilah reminded. Nessa silently pouted as she walked past the gowns on the mannequins. She looked over her shoulders to see Tom eyeing a couple of suits. Tom came along to her dentist appointment and after that Delilah took the two to a tailor to pick outfit for the New Years party. It only took an overnight sleep for Delilah to recover, when she woke up she remembered everything, including her daughter asking about Tom and the adoption. Delilah silently cringed remembering what she told her daughter, but she acted like nothing happened, not once did she try to talk Nessa about it.

"So, the dress I can pick doesn't have to match anything correct?"

"Well... it would be nice if you and Tom matched, any color really, I think it would be adorable." Her mother said.

"Gold." Nessa said.

"That's not a color." Tom chimed in.

"Yes it is."

"It's metal."

"That is the color of gold."

"Gold, metal, no metal, just settle on a color. I'm going to see if they sell cuff links." Delilah said before walking towards the owner.

"I think we should do gold." Nessa said.

"It doesn't match the theme of the party. If anything, it should be red." Tom politely argued. Red, that was his favorite color.

"But red dresses have been a common use for holiday parties. I want to stand out." Tom scoffed and moved closer to the girl, he gently lifted a strand of her hair, twirling it a bit.

"You stand out enough with your dead hair." Nessa swatted his hand away and gently stroked her hair.

"I have tried something new with it today. It should help it look better by the time of the party."