10.

Lights flickered on as soon as he set foot inside the pod, the feeble human being wildly trembling in his arms as he carried her towards the center console and placed her in a seat.

"No, I can't do this!" He heard her whimper as soon as he moved to occupy his seat as well, his sharp senses detecting a sudden increase in her cortisol and adrenaline levels as he watched her make a dash straight towards the still open hatch.
Yet before she could set foot past the threshold, she suddenly froze in place for a moment as she noticed the small group of soldiers passing through the first set of double sliding doors. And with a small and frightened scream she turned around and ran straight back to him, hiding behind his broad back like a scared little infant just as he pushed a certain button, effectively sealing the hatch shut.

Madeleine's breath came out in short and harsh puffs, her eyelids tightly closed as she could hear the faint sounds of shots being fired at the sealed hatch.
Her hands clutched onto the BloodHound's bare torso like a scaredy cat, with each bang her body jerking in fright until she suddenly felt a gloved hand wrap around her wrist and drag her around until she was standing right in front of him, her gaze meeting his as she hesitantly opened her eyes.

"Sit down and put your safety shield on," He firmly commanded, earning himself a rushed and shaky nod before she scrambled to sit in her seat and struggle with the wretched shield made out of cushioned bars until she'd finally managed to tug it on.

"Destination course set: Proxima Centauri," She heard a robotic voice ring through the whole cabin, her heart pounding within her chest as her gaze darted to the only being present in the cabin besides her.
She watched him push a few buttons as he calmly sat in his seat, completely ignoring whatever was happening outside the pod.

"Hold on," He mumbled and before she could even make out what he actually said she suddenly found herself forcefully sinking into her seat as the pod's propulsion force fought against gravity, her whole body aching as it struggled to adjust to the pressure for a few moments, until it all suddenly stopped.

A shaky breath escaped her lips, only now realizing that her eyes were tightly closed as her eyelids fluttered open, her gaze darting to the curved pane of glass stretching out before them.
A small shriek broke past her lips, her eyes widening with shock and sinking panic as she watched the tiny dots of light shining into the endless expanse of darkness... Just like his eyes.

"Gravity force activated," That robotic voice chimed in once again, startling her and making her shift her wild gaze towards the creature sitting just a few steps away, those galaxy eyes finding her own.

She fastly breathed, her pulse sky-rocketing as that sinking feeling only continued to press at her insides, her panic-induced brain collapsing into a dark abyss just as fast as millions of thoughts raced through, adding fuel to her worsening condition.

The BloodHound watched her for a moment, thoroughly analyzing every twitch and every movement, his slowly defrosting instincts pushing him to gain her attention.

"Twenty-four hours before your retrieval," He weakly started after a moment, his voice a little bit grungy,
"My maintenance bot malfunctioned and failed to administer the daily dosage of inhibitors into my system,"

He watched her arched eyebrows immediately shoot up in response.
"Inhibitors?"

He nodded,
"Yes. We are administered inhibitors, for maximum compliance and efficiency," He explained, so calm as if he were talking about the rain and not his own life, the girl's brows furrowing as she struggled to comprehend what that meant.

"S-so they're basically turning you into robots?" She voiced out her thoughts, making him curiously eye her for a moment.

"We have our basic needs suppressed; such as resting or eating, but also our emotions..." He trailed off.

"But I..."

"Because of that single error, I've... I started to...feel..." He struggled to explain himself as best as he could, given the fact that it was all pretty new to him. The speaking, the emotions...

"I could feel your pain..." He quietly uttered, making her stare at him, speechless.

"I didn't mean to...I...I did not want to do that to you...
I was...forced to..." He pushed the words out with a little bit of struggle, watching that stray tear trail down her cheek as she listened to him.

"Why did you save me?" She whispered with a sniffle, closely peering into his purple galaxy eyes.

"I did not want you to die. I could not keep avoiding to impregnate you. They were going to assign another BloodHound to complete the task. I could not let them torture you like that," He explained, immediately detecting that subtle change in her facial expression and the rhythm of her heartbeat, his senses fastly reacting to that sudden release of oxytocin into her system.

"Thank you, Emerick," She whispered, her small lips curling up into a barely perceptible smile as she continued to peer into his eyes, a peculiar tingling feeling touching his insides as he heard her say his name for a second time within the span of a few hours.