•Part Two•

The Earth
Year: 2077
Location: American Continent

Meoni's bare toes wiggled in the yellowish fine-grained dirt, her big brown eyes watching with interest and fascination as her delicate and once-clean feet were now coated in dust.
She raised her gaze, feeling those warm UV rays generated from their planet's star caressing her skin as she dared take a few steps forward through the sea of tall and dry-looking sprouts, her fingers reaching out to feel the texture of their stiff-looking leaves and stalks.

"What is this?"

"Corn. We landed in a cornfield," Madeleine answered from right behind her as she closely followed, lips curled up into a joyous smile as she watched Meoni take her sweet time to discover and accustom herself with her new surroundings.

"And what is this?" She soon asked again as a gentle breeze threaded through her black locks and caressed her skin, making her close her eyes for a moment and take a deep breath, visibly entranced by the new feeling.

"The wind," Madeleine answered with the same calmness, offering the princess a gentle smile as she opened her eyes again and looked at her.

"I like it," The princess said with a smile of her own, graciously twirling around on the wide dusty path, the sides of her skirt flowing in the breeze as she took another few but bolder and faster steps.

"I like the way it makes me feel. Is it like this all the time?" She threw her arms up in the air and started performing a delicate and flowy dance, like a fairy escaped out of a fantasy story her limbs and body undulating so perfectly in sync with the wind as Madeleine watched, thoroughly impressed.

"Well, not really. It's summer now and the weather's usually very pleasant during this time of the year, for most areas of the globe,"

"But we also have winter, and autumn and spring. Well, what's left of them anyway. These seasons used to be nicer back when I was a kid. Now they're just either really wet or dry, and not that cold either," The girl explained with a mild frown.

"Okay. I like summer then. Summer is my favorite...what did you call it?" The princess paused with a pensive look, immediately receiving the answer from Madeleine.

"Season,"

"Yes. Season. Summer is my favorite season on Earth," Meoni expressed a satisfied and rather childish grin before performing another gracious twirl, making Madeleine giggle as she watched the princess behave so energetic and carefree, both of them failing to take notice of those rapidly approaching and determined footsteps thudding down the dirt path and straight towards them.

"Make another move and I will blow your brains out," Madeleine's smile suddenly fell at the sound of that unfamiliar masculine voice coming from somewhere behind her, her hands automatically raising at her sides before freezing in her spot from utter fright and surprise.

She watched Meoni stop to give the stranger behind her a curious look, however not frightened at all as she seemed rather bummed to have her joyous moment interrupted.

"Can I at least turn around?" The girl asked with a calm and sweet voice, her mind already working on how to diffuse the situation by herself as Emerick was probably still inside the ship, packing for whatever he deemed necessary and Meoni, well, she didn't seem to know how to intervene anyway.

Few moments passed, the unknown male remaining silent as Madeleine waited for an answer, hearing some shuffling and a cocking rifle before he finally spewed out in a commanding tone,

"Do it slowly,"

She obeyed his order, careful not to make any sudden movements as she turned around and faced him, surprised to notice a relatively young and not-so menacing man standing before her, his stance momentarily faltering as he took a moment to examine her from head to toe.
She could notice that covertly frightened look in his light blue eyes as they met hers again, his long fingers tightly gripping around his rifle as he held it pointed at her as if his very life depended on it.

"Hi. I'm Madeleine. What is your name?" She tentatively tried with a kind smile, watching him hesitate for a moment before reluctantly answering,

"J-James,"

"Nice to meet you, James," She expressed another smile, watching his fearful blue eyes flitter between Meoni and her, his stance still wary as he asked,

"What are you people? And what are you doing here?"

"Exactly that. People," She hurried to answer with candor, unfortunately receiving that same suspicious glare from him.

"Nice try. You think I didn't see that giant piece of whatever that is that just landed in my cornfield?" He raised his tone and stuck his gun out a little closer in an obvious attempt to make himself scarier and hopefully make them blurt out their "real motives", or maybe even run away.

Madeleine's eyes almost rolled in annoyance at the witness of his actions, mentally cursing her people's stubborn nature as she was already starting to lose her patience with this guy.

"Can't you hear me speaking the same language you do? And if we were aliens don't you think that we would've at least looked different?" She tried to reason with him, noticing him unconsciously lowering his gun a little as he actually seemed to take her words into consideration, her voice becoming a little softer as she quietly added,

"We're not evil. I promise,"

"We're just-"

She noticed the way his eyes suddenly widened out of nowhere, his breath hitching in his throat and his hands starting to tremble around the rifle as his gaze was now directed somewhere past her shoulder, reverting back to survival mode.

Great timing, Emerick.

She blew out a frustrated breath, barely managing to notice the moment James raised his gun back into shooting position before a loud bang rung in her ears, making her let out a frightened squeal and instinctually place her hands over her head in a protective way.

Complete silence followed, the girl hesitating to make a single move as she was so scared to find out where the bullet stopped, noticing James' totally freaked-out expression as he continued to stare past her shoulder for another moment, his mind seemingly struggling to cope with reality before he abruptly turned around and ran away, screaming in a rather girly manner.

Madeleine's ears still rung a little bit after that loud shot as she quickly turned around to check on her non-human companions, relieved to see that they were actually both alive and well, untouched by any damned bullets.

"Holy shit. That was close. Are you guys okay?" She blew out a few tired breaths, moving closer for a better look whilst they both silently watched her, albeit a little confused by the whole ordeal.

"He had such slow reflexes. Are all humans that slow?"

"And why was he making those sounds?" Meoni asked with a genuinely puzzled expression, staring in his trail as Madeleine lightly shook her head, secretly feeling a little embarrassed and disappointed as well by her own race after such disgraceful first encounter with the very last representative of Lyra.

Yes, leave it to us to behave like animals, like always.

"Uh, because we scared the living shit out of him," She answered matter-of-factly, turning back around to start walking in the same direction James had ran away.

"We're literal aliens in the cornfield," She stated with a snort after another thought, receiving odd looks from both Meoni and Emerick as they silently followed her lead, listening to her break into a fit of barely-restrained giggles as she continued to walk ahead down the thinning dirt path.

"Speaking of, we need to get rid of these clothes as soon as possible,"