23.

Madeleine shrieked as the scenery blurred around her into a palette of reddish and pink hues, the air from her lungs roughly stolen as Emerick's bulky arm pressed so tightly around her waist.
Her fingers dug into the back of his neck as she struggled to hold onto him, barely feeling his steps as he darted through the trees so insanely fast, scaring her to no end as she couldn't understand what was going on and why.
One moment he was so close to actually kissing her and the next he'd hoisted her up in his embrace and started running like a crazed cheetah out of nowhere.

Her cheeks warmed up as she allowed herself to waste but a single moment thinking about what he almost did, wondering why she almost let him do it too.

Was she starting to actually...like him?

No.

She immediately dismissed that thought, forcing herself to remember exactly what he was and her initial plan. She couldn't allow herself to start caring for him now because she knew it very well that if she did, she would never be able to return to Earth again.

Not without him, that is.

She suddenly found herself snapping back to reality as she felt him slowing down until he eventually stopped altogether, his gloved hands taking ahold of her hips as he proceeded to help her descend.
Involuntarily, her body immediately reacted to his touch, feeling her pulse increase and her skin grow just a little bit hotter, casually sensing that discreet and natural scent that seemed to cling against his skin no matter what. He kinda smelt like coconuts and other sweet stuff she couldn't exactly put her finger on.

"We were being followed," He briefly informed her as soon as her bare feet touched the ground, her gaze raising to meet his whilst her hands slid against the sides of his neck into a rather hesitant manner.
As crazy as it seemed, a small part of her didn't want to let go of his incredibly warm body.

"Was..." She thickly swallowed,
"Was it him?"

He lightly shook his head,
"Probably just a lost civilian,"

She quickly nodded, her mind however still enraptured by his scent, his hands still resting either side of her hips and the warmth of his body generated by their closeness.

"How do you still smell so nice? You haven't showered in days," She suddenly asked with a tilt of her head as her nostrils kept inhaling his oddly alluring scent.

"That may be because I have never ingested anything containing toxic chemicals like earthian food and/or beverages," He fastly explained whilst his purplish eyes kept wandering all over her features in a rather scrutinising way.

The girl comically scrunched up her nose after hearing his words, captivating his attention as this was the first time he was actually witnessing such an expression painting her delicate face.

"Well, junk food and all, I know I already smell like shit. I honestly don't know how can you still bear to be around me," She truthfully commented with a grimace, quickly earning herself what sounded like a light chuckle.

The girl abruptly sobered up and stared up at him with what could only be described as pure shock as she most certainly wasn't expecting to ever hear such a sound coming from him. And judging by the utterly stunned look currently marring his face as well, she could bet that neither did he.

"Emerick?" She tentatively uttered his name in hopes of getting him to snap out of his current trance-like state, his galaxy eyes swiftly refocusing on her face.

"Are you okay?"

"How are you doing this?"

Her brows shot up as soon as that peculiar question flew past his lips, leaving her even more perplexed.