34.

Madeleine's heartbeat pounded into her chest as if trying to break free, her hand shooting out to take a hold of his arm and try coaxing him into lowering his weapon before she turned around in his hold, her eyes meeting those beautiful purple galaxy ones.

"Please don't shoot her, she's my friend!" She pleaded, watching him peer at her for a moment before rather hesitantly lowering his gun, his other hand sliding to rest over the small of her back.

Heat pinched at her cheeks as she could not help but feel so aware of it, her palms lightly pressing against his firm abdomen as she kept gazing into those violet galaxies.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm escaping and I am taking you with me," He replied with blatant determination.

"But h-how..." She lightly shook her head, quickly deciding to rather leave it be and not bother asking him how he managed to escape since there wasn't really the time nor place for such questions.

"Did he hurt you?" Emerick hurried to ask her before she could say or do anything else, his gaze roaming all over her face into a thoroughly inspecting manner.

"No, I-I'm fine, I-" Her breath hitched as she felt his fingers trailing over the side of her neck, tucking those wild brown locks away before his galaxy eyes fell on those two punctured holes in her delicate neck.

A dark look crossed his beautiful face, managing to startle her a little.

"I admire your courage, but you will not succeed," She suddenly heard Meoni say with a weak and rather sorrowful voice from behind.

"I will surrender my life trying," He swiftly responded, his gaze never leaving Madeleine's and peering at her with such passion and intensity, making her squirm and grow a little hot under his unyelding stare.

"So you might be indeed his halfling after all,"

Madeleine heard Meoni mutter unintelligibly under her breath, watching Emerick's attention finally shift past her head to give Meoni a curious look, even tilting his head to the side as he peered at her for a moment.

Madeleine's brows furrowed, wondering what it was that she told him to gain such a reaction from him.

"I could never share DNA with that tyrant. It is not possible," He answered back in that same odd language Meoni had used, his tone sounding a little bit too harsh for Madeleine to ignore it.

What was going on? What were they arguing over?

She peered up at Emerick, vainly trying to decipher his emotions as he shoved that gun into the holster attached to his thigh, her lips parting to let out a light and surprised squeal as his hands went under her thighs and swiftly hoisted her up in his embrace. Her arms quickly wrapped around his neck for support whilst her widened eyes found his, her poor heart pounding a little harder again as she could not help but feel the way his hand went under her bum to hold her in place as her bare legs held on so tight around his waist.

"You are far too weakened. Did you not receive nourishment at all?" He questioned after another scrutinising look over her flustered features.

She remained silent, her gaze timidly lowering to his equally bare and bronzed chest.

What could she say? That she purposely starved herself in protest against the Alpha's tyrannical acts?
It simply sounded so stupid and senseless now in her mind.

"No matter. I will find something for you,"
Her eyes trailed back upwards to meet his again as she felt his body moving forward so swiftly and fast.