22.

"Madeleine," He softly called out in another attempt to draw her attention, worry creasing his otherwise stony features as he looked at the side of her face, watching how those tiny muscles tensed whilst moisture still gathered between her eyes and lower eyelids, her breathing a little ragged and uneven as her throat muscles remained tensed as well, indicating that she was still struggling to not shed some more tears.

"You still haven't eaten yet," He pointed out as soon as she threw him a fleeting glance, listening to her blow out a sigh before she eventually stopped that aimless trudging through the tall trees and turned to face him instead, giving him an expecting look from between those wet eyelashes.

"You should rest your legs while you eat, we still have a long journey ahead of us," He suggested whilst lowering his backpack over his arm to open it and retrieve two power bars from inside.

He then placed them both in her awaiting palm, looking into her eyes for a moment before she turned around and walked towards a nearby tree, lowering herself and taking a seat over the grass whilst he followed suit.

He took a seat as well, choosing to place himself as close as possible as he criss-crossed his long legs and sat right in front of her, barely leaving any space between their bodies as he kept checking her state.

The girl only gave him a look before proceeding to tear open the wrapper of one bar and take a bite, noticing how his galaxy eyes kept following every single movement her lips made.

Quickly growing a little tired and embarrassed as well by his odd staring she immediately stopped, grabbing the other power bar from her lap before extending it towards him.

"Are you sure you don't want some too?" She questioned, despite the fact that he had previously assured her that he does not have such needs, back when they were still travelling to Laxian.

"I am," He lightly nodded in response whilst his starry eyes shifted to meet hers.

"But aren't you hungry like, at all? It's been more than a week since we left Earth -assuming that you were given something back at the facility, before..."

He lightly shook his head in response as she trailed off, quickly earning himself a confused look from her.

"No? No what?" She asked with a tilt of her head.

"I..."

"We weren't exactly fed, back there," He started to explain, watching her brows raise.

"You weren't? B-but what-"

"For nourishment, we were administered special mixes of serum," He answered her unfinished question.

"They were administered intravenously, or through a small tube reaching all the way into our stomachs. They were especially made so that our bodies could absorb every single drop, without creating any waste and giving us the proper energy we needed for optimal functioning," He explained the process as if it was the simplest thing in the world, however being quick to notice that sudden change within her as soon as he finished speaking, once again her eyes becoming glassy with moisture whilst her throat muscles swelled.
Small tears made their way down her cheeks as she nodded, forcing out a tiny smile as she visibly struggled not to cry some more.

But why?

What did he say?

What was it that created such a reaction from her?

Why did he always seem to only evoke negative emotions within her?

Why did he seem to only cause her pain instead, just like his Alpha? Why couldn't he just do it right?

"Here," She suddenly spoke, drawing his attention back to her face as she quickly wiped away that wetness from her cheeks and placed the unopened packet containing the other power bar in his lap, making him give her a curious look.

"Eat with me," She said after a small sniffle.

"But-"

"Don't worry, I'm sure we will eventually find some more food. Besides, you've been going for too long without eating. What if you start growing tired and fail to protect me?" She argued with another smile tugging at her plump lips, that sole expression painting her delicate features being enough for him to stop trying to reason with her and simply obey instead.

At least she was not crying anymore.

His galaxy eyes finally lowered after another moment of staring, shifting to look at the power bar resting in his lap.
And with a little bit of hesitance he grabbed it and tore open the wrapper, pausing as he continued to stare at it.

"What?" She suddenly asked as she noticed his odd staring and hesitance.

"I-I don't think I know how," He lastly uttered with realization.

She immediately let out a giggle at the sound of his words, his purple gaxay eyes quickly shifting to her face, completely entranced by that beautiful sound she'd just made.

"It's very easy, silly. Just do it like I do; bite, chew and swallow," She simply explained whilst performing every single action.

His gaze focused on her lips the entire time, shocked to feel that same mysterious craving once again tugging at him from within. Only this time, it seemed to increase tenfold as they suddenly found themselves staring at each other as if space and time just disappeared, leaving them behind as the only two creatures in existence.

"W...what's this..." He breathlessly whispered as he found himself so strongly compelled to close that distance between them and just...

Madeleine's heart pounded so hard within her chest, that last remaining piece of her power bar falling from her hand as she watched him staring at her like that, his gaze heatedly shifting between her eyes and lips. Anticipation and anxiety arose within her as for some reason, she couldn't seem to move or look away as he slowly leaned closer, and closer, their noses almost touching and their breaths mingling, so close to connect their lips when his facial expression abruptly changed, thoroughly startling her.

"Wha-"

She didn't get to utter a single word, a sharp intake of breath going past her lips as faster than she could even comprehend, he unexpectedly hoisted her up in his embrace and started running.