Second Year Part One

"As much as I loved Dobby," Nova began after watching Dobby get Harry into trouble. "I want nothing more than to put him in time out."

"'Time out'?" Dorcas echoed with her dark brows furrowed.

"Yeah," Nova nodded. "I don't believe in violent punishments."

"That house elf got you expelled?" James shouted in disbelief.

"Dobby," Harry correct. "His name is Dobby."

"THEY PUT BARS ON YOUR WINDOWS?" Lily shouted in outrage.

"It's fine, Mum," Harry said quickly. "It doesn't matter-"

"Of course it matters! It's barbaric!"

It was safe to say that many people in that instant were prepared to go to Azkaban. In Sirius's case, back to prison.

Nova was being oddly quiet.

Twelve-year-old Nova stood next to her chair at a long dark table. She was looking directly at the bald man down the table. Once he sat, she did as well.

The Morgensterns and Nova ate in silence. Well, the Morgensterns were eating. Not Nova.

Nova scooted her chair back and kicked her feet up onto the table. She pulled out a bag of patato crisps before eating them. She made sure to chew loud enough for them to hear, hoping to strike a nerve.

"What a wonderful day, don't you think, Matthew?" Nova questioned.

"What in Merlin's Holy name are you eating?" Mrs. Morgenstern screeched.

"Crisps," Nova said completely unbothered. "Would you like some?"

"Why do you have that . . . muggle monstrosity?"

"Well, Greta, you cut me off of my food. Girl does what a girl has to do to survive."

"They what?" Remus asked.

"If you weren't so over weight, you could have food," Mrs. Morgenstern told Nova.

Sirius gave a low growl.

"Well, I'm not sorry that I don't look like a toothpick," Nova countered. "I'm a perfectly healthy weight. The so-called 'fat' you see on my body is called muscle. I need muscles for daily tasks and quidditch."

"Who said anything about quidditch?"

"I did. I will be playing on the Gryffindor Quidditch team this year."

"No you won't."

"Watch me."

Just as Nova made to move, Mr. Morgenstern point his wand at her.

"Look away, and cover your ears," present Nova advised.

None of them listened to her.

Past Nova had ducked just in time for an arrow to fly over her shoulder. She began to run through the manor dodging spells as she went. She didn't like running from him, she felt like a coward.

"Aguamenti!"

Mr. Morgenstern had cut Nova off through one of the hidden corridors, and splashed water in her face. She stumbled back before being met with it again.

She fell to the ground, crawling back as quickly as she could. She was just about to run when ropes were tied around her.

"You will stay in the dungeons until you return to school," he growled. "You will eat every three days, and nothing more. The most you'll find gifted to you everyday is water. We need you to look your best in case a suitor happens to stop by. If they do, you will keep your mouth shut. Do not speak unless spoken to."