𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝟐𝟑-𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫-𝐎𝐥𝐝 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭

November 29th, 2021

11:25 am

Dalvin's POV

Another few months have passed and I've been released from the hospital. After I left, Devante has been awake and released. I can continue to write and produce music while De has to do physical therapy for his arms and back since they were the most injured on his body.

We still have been searching for Kaylan & Zhen. I can just feel in my bones that they are still here with us. I haven't been staying at my house because I've been having nightmares about the whole thing. It's like I hear voices surround me during those nightmares and feel immense pressure on my chest. So I decided to ask Yvette and Fu if it was possible and okay to stay over at their house. And they said yeah so I've been over there for the past two months or so.

"Dalvin!", Yvette yelled. I was in the bathroom finishing washing my face and brushing my teeth. I quickly dried my face off and went to see what Yvette wanted. "Where you at?", I yelled. "In the kitchen.", she yelled back. I nodded my head and went into the kitchen.

Once I made it to the kitchen, I saw Yvette with two medium-sized bins on top of the washing machine. "Yeah, you called me?", I said. "I just wanted to know are you free today?", she asked me. "Umm...I think so. I was just gonna check up on Dyana to see if she needed anything. You want me to do something?", I said.

"Yeah, I was wondering if you could help me with these flyers in these bins.", Yvette said while pulling out a flyer and showing it to me. It's a missing persons flyer with a picture of Zhen and Kaylan separately. I cleared my throat and said, "Yeah, I can help you with these. Where can we place these flyers?", I asked her. "The grocery store, light poles, gas stations, and the park near Zhen's house. That's not too much for you, right? If it is I can just ask Fu when he comes back.", Yvette said. 

I shook my head and said, "No, no, no. It's fine. It's not too much for me. I can help you." Yvette sighed and said, "Thank you, Dalvin." I turned around and grabbed the two bins, we walked out to her car and got inside her car. I looked at her and saw that her eyes were watery. "I'm sorry. It's just...it's already been a year since they disappeared. Every day I just feel like throwing in the towel and closing myself off from the world. But at the same time, I want to keep searching and searching because I know that they're still on this Earth. I don't know where but I just know. Fu hasn't been eating as much as he used and you know he loves food. I haven't been able to sleep properly since. We're just a mess.", she said while letting her tears fall down her face.

"I miss them both. I miss my child! My only child! I miss hearing her talk to me. I miss her being around. I miss seeing her face. I just miss Zhen so much.", she said. I hugged her tightly and we had a brief moment of silence. "You know that I look back now...I should've done more for Kaylan. She's not even a part of the family but she still deserves to be cared for., she said causing me to stop hugging her.

"She is a part of the family. She's your little cousin right, remember?", I said while wiping away her tears. She shook her head and said, "Dalvin..."

"What are you trying to say about her?", I asked her. "I'm saying that she's not a part of the family biologically. She was adopted into the family as a baby. Me and my sister, Theresa, tried for so many years to get her. Wed proved that we made enough money to support our families and children but so did somebody else.", she said with her head down. "Who did the court end up giving her to?", I asked her.

 "One of my real cousins who I never got along with named Diamond. She never liked or wanted to have kids, so when we found out the court gave Kaylan to Diamond, we were all shocked and tried telling them that Diamond didn't care for kids and has a history of abusing animals and others, they kept dismissing us.", she explained. 

"So you don't know her real parents then?", I asked her. She sighed and said, "I just know that her parents were minors at that time so we couldn't know their names or where they're originally from. So they might be in their late thirties to early forties now. That's all I know.", she said. 

"So does she know that she was adopted?", I asked her. "No. Diamond just kept telling Kaylan a bunch of bullshit while she was growing up so I highly doubt it.", she said. "Would you and Theresa ever tell her or would you just let her continue to be your little cousin?", I asked her while she was starting the car.

"See...Theresa and I talked about this so many times after we found that Diamond had passed over from an overdose. We don't want her to feel like she's different or unloveable if we explain everything to her. We want her to know the truth but what if she doesn't want to be connected to us as a family anymore. I'll be heartbroken but if that's what she would want....I- I don't know. I'm sorry Dalvin. I shouldn't have even said anything because now I dragged you into this mess.", she said quickly retracing herself.

"No, it's okay. And don't worry, I won't tell her. I don't think that's my place to tell my lady something like that. She should hear that from you and Theresa. Besides having children being adopted or finding out a child isn't yours biologically is pretty normal in our family anyways.", I said causing her to giggle.

"I mean when De found out Dyana wasn't his, that didn't stop Dyana fro making her think of him as her dad or me as her uncle. Yeah, her mom may have cheated on De but nonetheless it didn't change how she saw everybody in the family.", I sadi trying to reassure Yvette. 

She nodded her head and said, "Yeah but besides that Dyana has a loving parent."

"Yeah, that's true.", I said. 

Yvette sighed and looked at me. "Well, are you ready?", she asked me. "Yup, let's go.", I said. 

After that, She got out of the driveway and drove off so we could post the flyers.