I'm better

As days passed by, Dyana felt more and more excited about her kidney transfer. Zhen's speech began to improve massively but still needs help with her comprehending and memorization skills. The DeGrate and Fang family have been grateful to the only doctor that has given them a ray of hope, Dr. Mayans.

As Dr. Mayans has been introduced into the story, she gives us a bit of insight into her life. Now let's see how she is outside of her professional field.

December 15, 2019

7:23 pm

Dr. Mayans POV

It's been an interesting couple of months or so and I can say that it's probably the first time I've ever been this busy as a doctor. I normally leave the hospital around midnight or 11 but today I decided to leave a bit earlier than usual. I left work, drove home, and now I'm going to decompress and rejuvenate myself.

As soon as I opened my door to come inside my house, I took my coat off, took my shoes off, and finally let this ponytail holder off of my hair. Then, I got on my phone and looked up some relaxing music for myself. I walked towards my bathroom door and went inside the bathroom.

I turned the light on and saw my reflection. Sometimes I forget that I have makeup on so I grabbed my black African soap and some makeup removing wipes to get my makeup off my face. I don't put on a lot of makeup because I don't think I need that much. I just do mascara, lipstick or lip gloss, and foundation.

I wiped and cleaned my face for ten minutes. After all the makeup was off my face, I rinsed my face twice, dried my face, and looked at myself in the mirror There you go Ashanti. I'm back to my bare face again.

(pretend like she doesn't have lipstick on lol)

After that, I grabbed my phone and decided to call my adopted mom. Every night before I shower, we normally speak and update each other on what we did. If it's not obvious, my family doesn't live in Oregon with me. They're in Grand Forks, North Dakota well except for my dad. He's in Minnesota doing his aerospace dynamics training sessions now.

"Hey mom.", I said. "Hey Ashanti. You were in the middle of your work?", she asked. "No, I left early today. I figured that since my two patients are doing fine, I could relax and sleep a bit early than usual.", I said.

"How are they anyways?", she asked. "Well one of them is about to get a kidney transfer and she's super excited. The other one is finally getting a tutor for her speech. So far, they're doing well and I'm happy that they are.", I said. My mom laughed. "You sound just like her.", she said. "Who?", I asked.

"You sound exactly like your birth mom. She used to talk about how she wanted to be a nurse so much. I mean it seemed like she would never never never shut up about all the perks of taking care of people. Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring her up if you felt uncomfortable.", she said.

I grasped with she was saying and grinned. "You know I don't feel uncomfortable whenever you bring my parents up. I've always wanted to know she was before she went to drugs.", I said with a smile on my face. "Didn't I tell you before Ashanti?", mom asked me. "Told me what?", I asked.

"Your mother and I used to work together as a nurse and pharmacy intern at Walgreens. This was before she was pregnant with you. Your mom was the nurse and I was the pharmacy intern. We worked with each other for six years before your birth father was killed in that Walmart bombing in 1993. She used to always plan about the future with your dad and you. She originally wanted to name you Tiye", mom said. (Tiye is pronounced like tie yall)

I laughed. "Tiye Where did she get that name from?", I asked. "She said it's an Egyptian girl's name. Tiye means the goddess of light, an ancient Egyptian queen.", she said.  "Now when I think back on it, I should've never changed her mind about your name.", she added. "So you named me Ashanti?", I asked her. "Yeah. I got that name from her mother's middle name. I thought it would be a cute name for a baby but Tiye really fits you completely.", she said. 

"Well, I think Ashanti is a beautiful name too.", I said to playful. I heard a ring on my phone. "Dang it. My phone's at 5%.", mom said. "Well, I just want to you to know that I love you and that you need to charge your phone up so we can finish up this conversation tomorrow.", I said. "I will. Love you Ashanti.", mom said. "Love you too.", I said before hanging up the phone. 

It's nice to know that my birth mom was thinking about me so early in her life. Hopefully, I can finally have my dream come true. Ever since I found out that I was adopted, I've always wanted to meet my parents. Even though I can't speak to my birth father, I would like to know where his gravestone is so I can pick out his favorite colored flowers and a poem for him that I've written years ago as a pre-teen. I do know that my birth mother is in San Diego. I would love to talk to her and help her with her drug usage. I think if I could help her, we can be a nice, healthy, and blended family. That's all I pretty much want.

I got back into reality by my black poodle, Bantu, laying on my feet. "Hey Bantu. I missed you too. What you been up to girl? ", I said picking her up and rubbing my fingers on her head. 

Bantu has always been with me ever since I decided to move to Oregon

Bantu has always been with me ever since I decided to move to Oregon. She wasn't my puppy originally. She was adoptive sister's pup. My last day in North Dakota, my sister decided to give me Bantu and I was grateful.

After a few minutes of playing with Bantu, I placed her on the couch and I got up. "It's time to do self-care. You wanna join?", I asked Bantu. I looked down at her and I saw her wag her baby tail back and front. "Alright. Come on.", I said while picking her up and walking to my bathroom beginning my self-care routine.

to be continued...