22/04/2020

Day 3 of the liberation. Things are supposed to get better but today was almost the same as any of those dreadful days during the lockdown. For one thing, I woke up at 2 am. I studied SAT and online courses thoroughly, faced Spanish and ASL intensively and had a good breakfast. The morning side of my day had just been perfect. 

Then the disruption came in the form of a phone call from the school to my mom who reached me at home (the school cannot reach me directly). I was needed in school by my counsellor to discuss how and what I have been doing during this outbreak. I remember mentioning earlier that we (final year students) were being monitored –not too closely –by the school.
I was in school at the time I would usually be asleep at home and thinking of what next to do to take care of my siblings. 

I met the counsellor and we had quite a long discussion which I would say was very tensed, but in no doubt quite ok. He disagrees with my attitude towards life because he feels that I am not interested in the spiritual part of life which he feels that anyone with my same level of intellect, which he believes is very high, would be interested in. What he doesn't understand is that I am unique, like everyone else in the world is. I have not yet met someone who wants the same thing I want in life. As at now, I'm in it alone so I can't believe in what others believe in because I don't want what they want. It's that inner conflict I can't express. I want something people believe nobody can have. Yet if I do get that thing it becomes impossible to let the world know I have it because then again, nobody will believe me. Confused? I am too.

Coming back to today, the outbreak seems to be slowing down. Well, the daily number of cases has seen frequent drops than increase likewise the death toll. As at now, the number of cases is almost 2.6 million with about 180,000 deaths. Slightly above 700,000 people have recovered. Ghana, however, recorded an additional 112 cases but no new deaths raising the number of infected people to 1154. 99 people have so far recovered and there have been 9 deaths in total. 

Moving from the outbreak issue, I got home after about four hours in school. One thing that came out well from my school visit was that my counsellor had given me some money "for transport" as he claimed but I knew better and pretended like I didn't know why he gave it to me. It wasn't surprising that everyone in the school knew of our family situation because even upon 100% scholarship, we've had to beg for basically everything else ranging from books to uniforms. 

Nevertheless, I was very grateful to him even if I couldn't show it at that moment.
I felt like I had already lost much of the day to that outing so I delved into reading HP immediately. I was also expecting my parents to arrive from work early so I could have dinner but to my utter disappointment, there was no dinner and they arrived late. Plus, due to the tiredness and missed nap, I will be going to bed at 7:30 pm which is just any minute from now. This explains why I said today wasn't so different from any of those lockdown days.