(25) - Life or Death

Becca Franko.

A beautiful, unique name that belonged to the woman who was responsible for the end of the world. A young and brilliant scientist who created the program that destroyed humanity. "At twenty-six, she found a pathway to access a human mind," Raven explained, turning to the next page of the scientist's journey.

Her notes were so organized and cool, just like the things she accomplished along with her work career. "The same year, she had to lock up Alie because her answer for what was wrong with the world was too many people. She was twenty-seven when it launched the bombs."

"She decided to end the world because it was overpopulated?" Faith grimaced, taking a curious look at Becca's handwriting. She couldn't understand it. Maybe because she was a human and her emotions were getting in the way of the right solution, Alie thought it was excellent. The avatar believed she was doing the right thing.

"What did she write about the flame?" Clarke asked. It mattered more to her because it involved Lexa's and the previous commanders' histories. It connected.

"Alie 2.0. She saw it as a way to atone for her sins. She designed it to not just access a human mind but to merge with one. It could never wipe us out because it would be one of us. She would put it in herself first. Altered her genes so her body wouldn't reject the implant."

Monty wrapped his fingers around the key, taking it from Faith's hands. He examined it closely, keeping his focus on the conversation.

"Becca Pramheda. The first commander. The gene therapy made her blood black, didn't it?" Clarke wasn't a science expert, but she recognized and had knowledge of the spoken therapy. It made Raven curious, along with Octavia, who asked: "How did you know that?"

"Nightblood. That's where it came from. Somehow it became hereditary. Luna has it. That's why we have to find her. If she can access Alie two, then she can tell us how to stop Alie one."

Faith ran the plan again in her mind, trying to imagine it. It was a good plan but also a risky one. They were many options that could go wrong, and the result of those would be them dying or getting chipped and joining the City of Light program.

"Get back to the mind pathway" Monty jumped into the earlier topic. " If Alie uses it to upload minds to the City of Light, then there's a chance my mom's still alive."

"That depends on your definition of alive."

Faith held her stare into the boy and touched his hand gently. It was important to never lose hope. "There has to be a way."

Faith had hoped, but situations made the feeling fade away when there was trouble rising. Their friends back in the cave weren't answering, and it made it worse. "They can't just disappear." She kicked some dirt off her boots when her feet hit the old grounds of Arkadia. It was like a ghost town. She brought down the gun since there was no one there to shoot if there was a threat.

There was no sign of Miller, Amsu, or any of the others.

Octavia brought tears into her eyes, but she didn't let them fall out. She could almost imagine Lincoln's dead body laying on the ground while Pike aimed his gun uselessly. "Let's get this book and get the hell out of here."

Jasper raised his eyebrow and agreed.

Faith walked behind the entrance just when Monty parked the rover inside. "It's my fault. I shouldn't leave them alone here." Her friends were gone and possibly her father too. She couldn't even imagine the things they did for A.L.I.E.

Raven sighed comfortingly. "We're going to take them back. All of them." She promised. Raven would give the fight of her life to free Faith's father.