Chapter 5 🔪 Leaps

A/N: Sorry, sorry, I'm late! I know I said today or tomorrow... and that was four days ago. Yell at me as much as you want, but here is your next chapter!

"They're jumping off!"

I am started from my light sleep by a yell. I stretch to try and relieve some of the aching muscles in my upper back. I don't know how long it has been, probably less than an hour. The train seems to be moving slower. Looking over, I see that most of the Dauntless-born initiates are gathered by the door of the car.

I feel a hand grasp my wrist and instantly tense. Part of my mind says it's Marcus, about to beat me again, but the rational part of my brain, thankfully, stops that train of thought. Looking up, I realize that it's Lavender who's grabbed me. "Let's go see what's going on!" She cries.

I get up and let her drag me and Ethan to the doors, pushing past the other initiates. As I peek out the doors. What I see makes my eyes widen. The Dauntless in the cars ahead of us are jumping onto the roof of a building. A building that's seven stories up.

I knew the Dauntless were crazy, but I never thought they were this crazy.

I'm starting to get dizzy, and it's not because of the height, at least, not directly. Just the idea that someone could end up on the ground, like a pancake, that's what's making me dizzy.

It's also partially the fact that if that does happen, everyone will say that it's a part of initiation that they couldn't complete. They weren't fit for Dauntless. Their death, in the Dauntless' eyes, would be a form of weakness, and therefore justified.

My mind drifts to that Dauntless-born, Rowan, and his words. When it's time to jump, don't be afraid. Is this what he meant?

Focus, Camilla.

The initiates start forming a line in front of the door. The Dauntless-born in this car are in the front, and the transfers are near the back.

I can't be sick now. I have to make it onto that roof. If I don't, I'm going to be forever remembered as the weak Abnegation girl who thought she was good enough for Dauntless.

I'm not bothered by people's perceptions of me, though. I'm more bothered by the fact that if I get that title, I'll be dead.

People have started jumping off the train, in groups of two or three. It seems like mere seconds before it's our turn. Before I can protest, Lavender grabs my hand, along with Ethan's.

"One, two... three!" Lavender counts down as the car passes the roof. On three, we leap out. For a second, I feel like I'm flying. Then, I hit the ground hard, and feel the gravel of the rooftop digging into my lower leg. I didn't land on my feet, but most transfers probably didn't. It's our first time jumping off a train, after all.

I let go of Lavender's hand, and push myself up. As I do, a chuckle comes out of me, turning into a small laugh.

"That was amazing." I comment.

Lavender nods enthusiastically. "Definitely!"

We've started to drift to the other side of the roof, where everyone else is going. Ethan looks like he's about to vomit. "You all right, Ethan?" It's going to take time to strip me of my Abnegation habits.

"Yeah." Ethan clearly can't lie. He's clutching his stomach and leaning over as he walks. Suddenly, I realize what's wrong.

"Let me guess, you're afraid of heights?" I question.

He looks at me guiltily. "I was never comfortable with heights, but I never knew how deep that fear ran until I jumped off the train." He admits.

I just nod, because one of the Dauntless, a dark-skinned man with hair that's starting to turn gray, has started speaking.