Chapter 26 🔪 Arachnids

A/N: Hello again! I come bearing a new chapter and no new news except for the fact that my trip begins in a few days. I'm hoping to post another chapter or two by then, but, as you've seen before, nothing is set in stone. 

Honestly, the nothingness is both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, I'm doing absolutely nothing, but, on the other, I'm doing absolutely nothing! 

Anyways, chapter 26, here we come!

When I wake up the next morning, it is with a smile on my face.

I sit up with the alarm, push my dark hair out of my face, and practically leap out of bed. I don't know where all this extra energy is coming from, but it's not unwelcome.

First, I go to awaken my friends, who are still in bed. It is still an initiation day, and I have no intentions of letting them get in trouble because I couldn't be bothered to wake them up.

Julia and Lavender aren't hard to awaken; Julia used to get up early to study, in Erudite, and Lavender had to do the same in Amity, especially during the harvest season. Of course, like the rest of us, they've fallen out of that habit by now, but at least they know how to deal with the early morning sleepiness. Unlike someone else.

"Waking up this early should be a crime." Ethan mumbles into his pillow, which makes his words come out muffled and almost unintelligible.

"Come on, Ethan," I laugh and shake his shoulder a little more insistently. "We've been doing this for weeks now."

Ethan's only response to that is a groan.

When it's clear that Ethan won't be getting up by himself, I look over at my friends, who are watching the scene with amusement. I catch Lavender's eye, and tilt my head at Ethan in a silent question.

She grins.

Without further ado, I reach over and grab Ethan's arm. Lavender grabs the other. And with one big tug, we pull Ethan off the bottom bunk and right onto the floor.

He squawks in indignation, suddenly wide awake, making the three of us burst into laughter. Once he pulls himself out of the blankets tangled around him, he glares at all of us. But the glare, accompanied by half-closed eyes and bed hair, only makes us laugh harder.

Ethan looks up at the sky with a forlorn expression and questions, "What did I ever do to deserve this?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're still laughing and joking as we sit down in our normal seats in the dining hall, plates loaded with breakfast foods. The four Dauntless-borns don't join us today, much to my disappointment.

The good mood doesn't last for long.

Julia is the first to notice who is approaching us. Every bit of cheer vanishes from her face in an instant.

I swivel my head to locate what has made Julia react this way. My own smile fades as I spot Zayden heading towards our table.

By the time he reaches our table, four pairs of eyes are glaring at him. I can tell, from his body language, that he's clearly uncomfortable, but he doesn't back off.

"What do you want?" Julia's greeting to him is short, monotone, and to the point.

"Nothing." Zayden smiles at us, trying to look innocent.

"Bullshit. What do you want?"

"Cammi," Zayden addresses me, ignoring Julia now. "Have you seen the new articles?"