Chapter 18 🔪 The Eagle's Wings

A/N: Hey, it's been just a week! So, I'm on my spring break now, which is why I'm updating so quickly. I'll spare you the rant, I'm trying to update more frequently, so here you go:

First of all, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for 1k reads! I think that somewhere, in the back of my consciousness, I hoped my story would get this far, but never thought that it would happen. Like, a thousand people deciding that this story was worthy enough to click on... that's more than the number of students enrolled at my former middle school, and I thought our halls were crowded. I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to wait for my updates (which are sometimes very slow), and, overall, just clicking on my story.

I guess this is my little gift for 1k reads, then... I have finally completed the outlines for every individual chapter of this book. Unless some drastic (like, REALLY drastic) changes are implemented, this book will be 36 chapters long, including the epilogue, spanning the rest of Camilla's initiation. 

Alright, I'm done rambling, I'll probably discuss the end of this story and the start of the next one once I'm closer to the ending. I'm not even halfway through yet! So, enjoy the chapter!

"Now go join your mother, you useless girl!"

When I wake up for the fourth time, I'm drenched in sweat.

It takes me a minute to get my bearings. Once I do, I realize that I'm alone in the dormitory.

What time is it?

I search for the clock hanging on the wall above the door. Once I find it, I vault out of my bed.

It's ten AM.

Oh, god. I'm late to training. Why didn't my friends wake me? What if I get kicked out for this? I can't make Tobias leave his life here just because I couldn't follow the stupid schedule-

And, right as I'm grabbing my clothes, I freeze.

Wait, Tobias mentioned yesterday that... today was off.

I sigh in relief. We get the day off. Nobody's getting kicked out for being late. I couldn't be more grateful.

As I'm getting ready, I glance at the board with the rankings. Someone - probably Tobias - came in and crossed off Dante and Sadie's names.

Wait. Dante and Sadie. Just Dante and Sadie.

I smile brightly, resisting the urge to track down Lavender and give her a bone-crushing hug.

She made it!

Despite my reassurances last night, I really wasn't sure if she would make it. But she did. I'm not losing any of my friends today.

I take my time in the dormitory, relishing the feeling of having the entire space to myself, and having infinite time I could use to get ready.

After I'm clean and dressed, I head down to the cafeteria and grab a muffin for a late breakfast. I scan the room for any of my friends. They're not there. Of course. Even though I expected it, a wave of disappointment still washes over me.

I guess I could go look for my friends, but, for some reason, I decide against it. My mind is still burdened with images of Marcus and his cruelty. That's an issue that Ethan, Lavender, and Julia don't know about yet, one that they can only speculate about. As much as I love my friends, it was hard enough telling Rowan. I'm not ready for them to know, too.

What if they don't want to be my friends anymore, once they do find out?

What if they leak it to all of Dauntless, or, worse, everyone in the city?