Chapter 33 🔪 Cherished

A/N: Why did this one take so long? I don't know. I got really stuck on parts of it, but it's finally here!

On a happy note, I finished All-region auditions a few weeks ago, and made a region band! I could have done better, but, then again, I didn't even expect to make it past phase 1, so I'm really proud of myself. :)

Oh, and HOW IN THE WORLD did this story rack up almost 1,000 views between my last chapter and this one?! We're LONG past 4k reads and almost at 5k?! Like, what?! THANK YOU ALL! I probably sound like a broken record, but it really means a lot that so many people want to spend their time reading my work. I hope that means you'll stick around for the rest of Cammi's adventures! We're nearing the end of book 1 :(, but that doesn't mean Cammi's struggles are anywhere near over.

But enough about me, let's move on to Cammi! Hope you all enjoy the chapter!

I stare into the frothing water just inches below the rock I'm sitting on, watching it fiercely tumble down its path. Try as I might, I can't erase the smile on my face.

It isn't long before I catch the sound of steps coming down the path. Quickly, I swivel to face their owner. A few seconds later, Tobias comes into view from behind the rock. I can tell that he notices my uncontrollable smile almost immediately, judging by the way he chuckles as he settles himself beside me, his lips twitching into a small smile of his own. "Someone's over the moon, huh?"

I roll my eyes at his lighthearted teasing, but don't bother to deny it. I have been abnormally happy since the banquet, and, at least in front of the people I care about, I'm not afraid to admit it.

But then, Tobias leans forward, a mischievous glint in his eyes, and innocently asks, "Do you want to know how your friends took the news?"

Oh, god, maybe I should be afraid.

"How much did you two exaggerate the story?"

My brother smirks. "Well, maybe just a little bit..."

I can't help myself. I groan, loudly, the moment incredibly reminiscent of a few hours ago, when Juniper revealed her bet with Chloe and Kian. The sound seems to break a dam in my brother, because he starts laughing. Rowan and I shouldn't have left Juniper and Tobias to tell the story.

His laughter dies quickly, though, with his apparent eagerness to tell the story. "I'm kidding. We just told them the truth. Lavender squealed. Like, actually, squealed." He shakes his head, but the gesture is more amused than annoyed. "I thought initiation had sapped most of the Amity out of her, but evidently not. Chloe and Kian were happy for you, I'm sure, but I think their mind was more occupied with the loss of their cake. And Julia and Ethan didn't seem surprised."

"But they're all fine with it?" I don't know where the question comes from - likely from some deep, insecure part of me that still really doesn't know how to handle healthy relationships, even after three weeks in Dauntless.

Tobias smiles, like he can sense my inner turmoil. Honestly, after all these years, I wouldn't be surprised if he could. "Of course they're fine with it, Cam. Actually, I think they're all relieved. It was getting a bit painful to watch you both skirt around each other as you figured it out for yourselves. Especially you."

I groan again. Tobias is clearly not going to let up on the teasing. "Well, not everyone has taken How to Recognize Subtle Romantic Gestures 101."

"Hey, neither have I, but Rowan is horrible at being subtle, no offense to him. I think you're just even more oblivious than I was."

I glare at him. "I don't think you can talk. Your little sister had her first kiss before you, that's just embarrassing."