Chapter 6 🔪 Burgers

A/N: Hiiii I'm back! My trip was wonderful, we drove to Branson, MO and had a few days of fun. I got back yesterday evening. Fortunately, I had this prewritten chapter, because I'm having slight writer's block right now. Hope you enjoy!

For a few seconds I just stare up at him, shock and relief and happiness crashing through me. I want to hug him, but before I can, he asks, "Name, initiate?"

Does he remember me? Does he recognize me? There's no way he's forgotten what I look like after only a year. I look right into his eyes, trying to hide my desperation.

He looks back, and in his eyes, I see the light of recognition. Thank goodness. But I also see something else. I see my own desperation mirrored in his eyes. I see a message. But what it is eludes me.

Suddenly, the answer hits me. He doesn't want anyone to know that we know each other. Why, I'm not sure. But I trust my brother's judgement.

I break eye contact - we were only looking into each other's eyes for a second. "Um..."

I hesitate. Camilla is an Abnegation name. I'm the daughter of one of the most influential Abnegation leaders. Is that really how I want to be recognized here?

"You can pick a new one, but choose wisely. You don't get to pick again." Tobias tells me.

The answer is no. I don't want to be Camilla Eaton, not in Dauntless. I don't want to be tied to my past.

"Cammi." I finally say. I look back into Tobias' eyes, and I see pride there. "My name is Cammi."

Tobias looks over his shoulder. "Second jumper, Cammi!" Tobias' voice is just as I remember it; deep, comforting. Except it's louder than I've ever heard before. You don't exactly get many opportunities to scream, being an Abnegation child in an abusive household, at least on purpose.

I hear a crowd starting to cheer. I squint in the dark, and, suddenly, I see them; so many of them, cheering and driving their fists into the air. Tobias grabs my arms and helps me down from the raised platform. In the process, he manages to get close enough to whisper, "Later."

I give him a small nod, so only he sees it, and let go of his hands. I start walking over to the first jumper, the beautiful Dauntless-born girl. As I do, I hear a girl's voice to my side, talking. "Four, I don't believe it. We don't get any Abnegation transfers for over ten years, then we suddenly get two in two consecutive years. What have they started putting in the water over there?" I turn to see a dark-haired girl that has three silver rings through one of her eyebrows.

Tobias replies, "I don't know, Lauren." I remember Tori talking about Tobias. She said that Four was Tobias' Dauntless name. Why Four?

I stand beside the first jumper. I want to think about it, but, before I have the chance, I hear another person hit the net. I glance over to see that it's Rowan.

I wasn't planning to talk to anyone, but, apparently, the first jumper had different plans.

"Hi, I'm Juniper." She holds out her hand, and I shake it, awkwardly. I wonder how long it will take me to get used to handshakes.

"Cammi."

"Yeah, I heard." She flashes me a smile, and it seems sincere. "You were impressive, you know. Most transfers scream the whole way down, you just had a short outburst near the top."

For some reason, being complimented by this Dauntless-born makes me proud. "Thanks. Your backflip was amazing."

She smiles even brighter. "You think so? I've been working to perfect it so I could flip into the net on Choosing Day."