Chapter 35 🔪 Imperfections

A/N: I'm just in time! Last day of January, and, in order to finish this book, I'm gracing all of you with a double update!!!

Also, WE REACHED 6K views! 6.3k, to be exact. And, honestly, that's a number I'm more than happy to end this book on. Let me cue my broken record voice... THANK YOU ALL! Now's not the time to get emotional - that's for the author's note at the end of the epilogue - but I appreciate each and every one of you. 

A quick note, before we jump into the chapter: This chapter isn't great, in my opinion. It's short - a little under 2000 words - and despite me repeatedly going back and revising it, it feels like a very weak final chapter. Fortunately, that's what editing is for. For now, it's going up, because I can't wait any longer. Hope you all enjoy!

"You're just here to mock me, aren't you?"

My brother laughs at me as I strain under the weight of the boxes I'm carrying. He carries his own boxes as though they're filled with feathers. "That's one reason."

"Jerk."

"That's my name, yes."

I resist the urge to put down these boxes and pull something out to throw at him. "Shut up."

"Your wish is my command."

I settle for a glare as I reach the bedroom door and kick it open with my foot. Stupid carts that don't even fit through my front door. Stupid apartment shopping. Stupid Tobias.

I set down the boxes on the provided mattress and sigh with relief, massaging my arms to relieve some of the ache that the weight of the boxes left behind. Tobias also sets down his load, looking unfazed.

I never realized how much stuff went into living on your own, at least not until today, when Tobias dragged me off of my new bed (which, despite being the standard provision in all apartments, is still more comfortable than Abnegation's beds) and into the Pit, insisting that I needed to get some essentials for my apartment.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of essentials. Dauntless outfits each apartment with basic furniture, including sofas, mattresses, dressers, dining room tables and chairs, desks and chairs, coffee tables, and side tables, as well as basic utilities, such as stoves, refrigerators, and dishwashers.

But that left me to get the little things - cleaning supplies, a bedding set to cover the bare mattress and pillows, a laundry basket, towels, a toothbrush holder, a bathmat, trash cans, rugs, a first aid kit, kitchenware (since I apparently won't always appreciate the din of the main dining hall), and more. While I can't dispute the necessity of most of these items, I can wish that they weren't all so heavy.

I'm not even sure where I'll keep most of this stuff; my apartment has a grand total of three and a half rooms. The first and largest is the open-plan living room/dining room/kitchen. Then, there's the bedroom, which is maybe half the size of the main room, but still larger than my bedroom in Abnegation. There's a small bathroom connecting to the bedroom, with a shower, toilet, and sink leaving only a little room to move around. And, on the other side of the bedroom, there's a small utility closet. A human can't fit in that thing - which is why I consider it half of a room - but the cleaning supplies and first aid kit will, albeit barely.

All in all, I like my apartment, even if it isn't very big. Especially since I have complete freedom to decorate it however I like. I doubt I'll decorate it - the minimalistic nature of the Abnegation is hard to get rid of. But at least that will be my choice.

I look up from my arms at the sound of rustling. Tobias is opening one of the boxes, pulling out the kitchenware and placing it on the mattress. I sigh at the sight, ignoring the dull protest of my arms as I move to open the box closest to me.