Chapter 24 🔪 Don't

A/N: Hey, you guys! After a long *chuckles nervously* almost-two months, I'm back! I probably sound like a broken record by now, but I'm so, so sorry about the wait! 

Honestly, the remainder of the month of April is kind of a blur for me. What I do know is I studied extremely hard for my Octathlon competition, on the last day of April (I killed it... sort of), and that right after, or the first week of May, was exam week for me (a Biology EOC and AP Human Geography exam, back-to-back days). And boy, did the preparation for them kick my ass! Well, it wasn't so much the Biology exam, and more the AP Human Geography one, but still, I studied for both. 

After exams, you'd think it would be easy, right? NOPE! Teachers apparently love to assign homework in that final stretch before summer break, I had a heck of a lot to do, including three major projects. And now, it's summer. You'd think that summer would give me lots of time to write, wouldn't it? NOPE AGAIN! This summer, I'm tackling two acceleration exams (basically, I'm trying to skip two subjects), trying to wrap up driver's ed (which is boring as hell), and learning pages upon pages of new music for the coming year. Joy.

Oh, and HOLY MOLY GUACAMOLE, you guys got the reads to flipping TWO THOUSAND AND TWO HUNDRED reads while I was gone. Like, WHAT?! It took 17 chapters to get to 1k, and only 6 for 2k. What (personal) record are you going to break next, 3 chapters?!
That's besides the point. Thank you, everyone who has taken the time out of their day to read my fanfiction. It isn't the most original or the greatest story out there, but thank you for giving me this chance. I cannot express how much I appreciate it. :)

In short? I am a busy bee and will use that as an excuse for my long absence. And I am extremely grateful to all my wonderful readers. Now that she-talks-forever time is over, onto the chapter!

When the wisps of consciousness begin to come back to me, the first thing I hear is voices.

"-bastard." The one growls. "He was trying to- trying to-"

"I'll kill him." Another responds, voice low and furious. "She shouldn't have to deal with this, not after Abnegation."

But the pull of sleep is still there, and it's getting stronger. The voices keep on talking, but they fade into the background.

Too tired to keep holding on to the real world, I let the darkness take me again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next time I wake up, everything feels clearer, sharper. With only a little effort, I open my eyes.

The room is dark, I notice, lit only by a small nightlight. I move my head slightly, taking in the simple furniture that lines the walls, the one wall painted with "Fear God Alone". Tobias' apartment, my brain supplies.

I shift my head the other direction, and blink in surprise when I see Tobias. He's sitting on what I assume is a chair, his head on the nightstand, facing my direction. His soft snores tell me that he's asleep. I feel a weight on my left hand; a quick glance in that direction shows me Tobias' hand laying on top of mine.

A wave of guilt consumes me. I forced him out of his bed, and made him sleep on an uncomfortable chair.

Something on the couch shifts, catching my attention. I squint at the figure, eyes widening as I catch the familiar mop of light brown hair hanging over the sofa's closest arm. Rowan.

Huh?

My mind starts racing with thoughts, with questions.

Why am I sleeping in Tobias' apartment? Why is Rowan here? What happened?