Chapter 34 🔪 Ordinary Acts of Bravery

A/N: Geez, I suck at meeting deadlines. Break is long over for me. New goal is end of January, and even I can't mess this one up (Or I'll eat my words and end up embarrassing myself... hopefully not!).

Most of my time was taken up by the All-region concert, which was about four days after the end of break, with a preparation clinic the day before. I didn't practice for most of break, so cue me frantically learning the music in time. Fortunately, it all ended up okay, and the concert was great! I was blown away by the sheer talent of all these high school musicians. 

Andddd while I was gone, you all managed to astonish me as well! Like, WE'RE AT 5.9K VIEWS! That's nearly 1,500 more than when I posted last chapter (if I remember correctly), what the heck? That's just incredible, I never thought my unoriginal Divergent fanfic would gain that many reads. Thank you, all of you!

Now, it's Cammi's turn in the spotlight! Enjoy the chapter!

I don't think there is a single person in Dauntless who doesn't know that the job choosing ceremony is at 9:30 AM sharp, for how much the leaders and instructors reminded us last night, at the banquet and afterwards. It's rather late, especially compared to the time that we've been waking up for the past few weeks, but that's probably for the benefit of all the Dauntless who chose to get wasted last night.

Old habits die hard, so I wake up at about 7:30. None of the other initiates seem to be having the same problem, though, because I'm the first one awake. With nothing else to do, I quickly get ready for the day, taking advantage of the transfer initiate dormitory's quiet, and head down to the cafeteria for breakfast.

Just as I predicted, the cafeteria is nearly empty, the exception being the cooks and a few lone souls, scattered between the many tables. The near-silence would be unsettling, if I didn't know the cause for it.

On the bright side, the lack of a crowd means that it takes me a fraction of the time to get through the breakfast line, not to mention the best pick of breakfast foods. Over the past few weeks, I've found a few favorites.

Soon, I'm sitting at the initiates' self-proclaimed table, with scrambled eggs (which are a hundred times better than Abnegation's, because they're actually seasoned), strips of thin, curvy meat (bacon, my brother's voice reminds me), and a large muffin (blueberry, a flavor I haven't tried yet) on my plate. A glass of orange juice sits beside my tray, and I sip from it between bites of food.

I don't know what I expected today, my first day as an official Dauntless member. Different treatment? Congratulations? Whatever it was, it certainly did not include a leader plopping down right across from me.

"Cammi." It takes me a moment to place the voice and face that have just appeared beside me, as shocked as I am. Max. Head leader of Dauntless. Also, Jeanine's main lackey.

As tempting as it is, I resist the urge to growl, what do you want?

Instead, I school my face until any traces of shock disappear, and force myself to sound polite. I can't afford to tick off a leader yet, not with how new I still am. "Good morning, sir."

He nods in acknowledgement of my greeting before continuing. "Do you know what job you'll be picking today?"

I can feel my heart drop. I know exactly where this is going, now. Well, Max certainly doesn't beat around the bush. "I think I do, sir."

His eyebrows go up, just a bit. He's surprised, although I'm not sure why. Shouldn't all of the initiates have some semblance of a plan on the morning of their job choosing? "What is it, then?"

"I'd like to be a faction ambassador. To Amity and Erudite." I make sure my voice is confident. Max has to see that I'm not willing to budge on this, even for the chance at a leadership position. Of course, it might not help - Tobias didn't want the position either, and Max still keeps hounding him on that - but maybe, since I've got plans to take up an ambassador position, he'll leave me alone, for now, at least.