Chapter 32 🔪 Beginnings

A/N: Wow, I got this done quickly! I'm proud of myself! :)

I really don't have much to say today... I hope you enjoy the chapter! We're picking up exactly where we left off, so buckle up!

The first thing I notice is how soft they are; they feel tender unlike anything I've felt before. And yet, somehow, they still manage to make me feel like I'm burning.

I can't hear the Chasm, or the crowd; it's as though the rest of the world has fallen away, and I can't bring myself to care. It's just him and me.

I can feel his hands, slowly, cautiously sliding over my shoulders and onto my back, bringing me into an embrace. More embers follow the path of his hands, and, inadvertently, I sigh a little.

It's probably only a few seconds before he pulls back, but, somehow, it feels like an entire lifetime and only a nanosecond at the same time.

He smiles at me, and his smile holds the same softness his lips did. He keeps his arms around me in a loose hug, and I can smell the faint scent of apples, something I have come to associate with him.

I can feel my own mouth stretching into a matching grin in response. Did I really just do that?

Yes, I did.

I'm broken out of my thoughts by Rowan clearing his throat, presumably to speak. "I-"

"Well, it took you two long enough."

The new, but familiar, voice, makes us both jump, springing apart as fast as humanly possible. I can feel red creeping into my cheeks as I turn to look at the person who spoke.

It's Juniper.

But that's not the worst part.

Because my brother stands next to her, arms crossed, wearing a matching smirk on his face.

Scanning the area around them, I thank whatever higher power there is that they're the only two people I know here.

"Juniper." Stealing a glance at Rowan, I notice that his expression is just as flustered as I feel. "What- What are you doing here?"

His words only make her smirk grow. "I saw you two walking over here. I thought I'd see if you'd finally got your wits together and confessed. I have to say, I was surprised Cammi made the first move."

I'm burning again, but, this time, from embarrassment. I look at my brother, silently asking him the same question. I don't think I can ask out loud, for fear of developing a fever.

He shrugs. "I ran into Juniper. She said I'd probably like to know about whatever was going on. And she was right. You-" He directs his next words to Rowan, "-were pretty obvious when it came to Cam."

"I was?" Rowan's voice is unnaturally high-pitched. I stifle the urge to laugh at his facial expression.

"Yeah, you were."

"Wait." I interrupt, aiming my words at Tobias. "So, you're okay with... this?" I wave my hand awkwardly between Rowan and I.

Tobias' smile softens at the question, losing the smug edge that made it a smirk. "As long as you're happy, Cam, then yes. And I think you are." He glances at Rowan, before looking back at me. "I think I realized it before you did, but you've liked him for a while."

I didn't think it was possible for my face to get any warmer, but it does. I don't know what to do with that revelation.

"I thought you didn't want some Dauntless guy messing with your younger sister." I tease, using his words from my second night in Dauntless. The change in topic serves another purpose, as well; it keeps me from having to respond to his previous words.