Chapter 14 🔪 Sharp Stuff

A/N: Hello guys! I hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving!

Eyyyy, I updated in two weeks. That must be a record for time between updates since the school year started. Although a big part of that was due to Thanksgiving break. I had a lot of time to work on this chapter.

Sure, I guess I could have found the time to post two chapters over the break, but I was more worried about chilling and enjoying my precious time off than updating. Plus, I was simultaneously working on two other short stories, completely unrelated to Divergent, for writing contests. I'm not the kind of person to rush through writing; I will post nothing but my best work, and enter my absolute best into contests. So, I hope it's plausible that life + other stories to work on gave me time for only one update throughout the break.

Also, I should probably let you know, my All-region auditions are coming up fast. So it might be a while before you see me again. Got to practice, you know. (I'm already screwed tomorrow - I didn't practice much over the break and the directors want to hear some cuts as soon as we get back)

Anyways, excuses over. Enjoy the chapter!

Believe it or not, a knife flying past your head isn't a very good wake-up call.

My daily nightmares hadn't stopped, and last night they were worse than ever. And I don't even know why. After all, I didn't face any major triggers during last night's game. Maybe it was my post-game hyperactive mind conjuring them up. But then why wouldn't it conjure me some good dreams? Like of Tobias and I, laughing in one of our stolen moments of happiness in Abnegation, or Rowan, catching me after I-

Woah. Where was my sleep-deprived brain going?

But anyways, I then checked the clock. It was six-thirty. Maybe I could get ready, grab some breakfast, and spend some time in the training room.

So I did. My eyes half-closed, chewing on a muffin, I opened the training room door... and was met by a knife flying at me.

I was definitely wide awake then. I froze, not knowing what to do. If this person was good, then maybe their knife wouldn't hit me. But what if they were aiming for me, thinking I was an intruder? Then their knife would be piercing my skin any second now, and not in a pretty spot.

And if this person was bad at knife-throwing... well, I didn't want to think about it.

I heard the knife hit the wall behind me, and let out a sigh of relief.

Yeah, not the greatest alarm clock in the world.

I whip my head around, scanning the room for my attacker. And my eyes fall on...

Tobias. My pig-headed brother with the IQ of a cockroach. Who's currently laughing his head off.

"TOBIAS!" I screech, charging at him. His laughter quickly stops, turned into an expression of amusement. I don't see what is there to be amused of, given that I am currently running at him, livid.

I ram into him, and I feel him wobble, but he doesn't lose his balance. Damn him and his tall self. He has more body mass than me, and he was clearly expecting the collision, which meant he didn't fall over.

And then it gets worse. He wraps his arms around me, entrapping me in a human-made cage. I squirm, trying to get out of his grip, but he just starts laughing again and grips me tighter.

"Don't try things you know you can't accomplish, Cam. You'll just spin the same web you get caught in." He says, his lips next to my ear.

"Words for the wise." I tease back. "Which you aren't."