Chapter 17 🔪 Showdown

A/N: I'm so sorry, you guys! I've left you alone for almost two whole months...

These aren't really excuses, but this is one of the longest chapters so far, and I had several major things come up. My huge major-grade Biology project was due in the past week, and I had a solo contest yesterday that I was way underprepared for. Plus, writer's block was a major obstacle for this chapter.

But the chapter's finally here! Hope you enjoy it!

His eyes continue boring into mine, as he takes one more step.

He's staring at my trembling form, hands already hovering at his waist.

Then another.

Searing pain goes through my back.

A third.

A glint of metal, at my neck.

In my peripheral vision, I can see his mouth. It's twisted into a smirk.

His sneer, taunting me.

A damn smirk.

"You will learn respect, Camilla."

With the fourth step, my body finally kicks in for my non-functioning mind.

I bolt.

I know that it's just my fight-or-flight instinct kicking in, that my body is acting out of fear.

But, somehow, through the fog that has invaded my head, I'm also able to recognize that it's a smart move. Marcus can't run through the compound without a reason, as the leader of Abnegation. And that reason better be pretty damn good; running after a child who is running away from you probably won't qualify.

But I push all of that out of my head and focus on getting as far away from that man, that monster, as possible.

My feet automatically guide me to the edge of the Pit, all while dodging people left and right, where Dauntless' labyrinth of hallways begins. He'll have a harder time finding me in the hallways than in the open Pit.

Suddenly, I feel myself crash into something hard. I would call it a wall, except I know I'm in the middle of the Pit right now. I stumble backwards.

Once I stabilize myself, I look up, apologies on my lips, body ready to take off again.

But instead of a stranger's, my eyes meet dark blue ones. Familiar dark blue ones.

I reel backwards, panicked, but he reaches out and catches my wrist. I immediately begin to struggle.

"Let go of me!" I yank my wrist hard, and, surprisingly, he lets me go. Marcus wouldn't let me go that easily.

"Cam, what's wrong?"

I look up again, but this time, I register the soft, worried gleam in these dark blue eyes. My vision expands to his mouth, which is turned downwards, his hair, longer than any Abnegation man's, and the black ink curling around his shoulders.

I fling myself at my brother. All I know is that I need him to hug me, to hold me tight like he did when I was nine and would wake up screaming because of my nightmares.

"Tobias." His name is the only word I can get out. "Tobias."

His arms come around me, but gently, hesitantly. I tighten my grip around his torso, hoping he holds me tighter, like I need him to right now.

"Cam." His breath tickles my ear. "We can't. We're in the middle of the Pit."

And suddenly, the circumstances we are in come pouring back into my brain, finding a space between the fear that seems to have pushed everything else out.