Chapter 25 🔪 Demons

A/N: Andddd I'm back! Wow, that was fast! Yeah, that's because this was a prewritten chapter that I had major writer's block on and I just wanted it out of my system so I could move on from the trauma that I got while writing it. 

So, here's the chapter!

J's face, empty, unseeing, dead, stares up at the crowd gathered above. His lips are blue. Even though his eyes are lifeless, I can't shake the feeling that he's looking right at me.

Why is he in the Chasm?

My mind clashes with itself, trying to figure out how to feel.

On one hand, he's dead. I've been telling myself, ever since yesterday, that my friends can defend me, that I can defend myself, if I ever see J again. Now, I won't have to.

He's dead. He can never touch me - or anyone else - again.

On the other hand, he's dead. Gone. Despite what he's put me through, he's just like any other person. He has a family, friends. And now, they'll never see him again.

I guess that's why some small part of me, behind my relief, still mourns him. The people that care about him aren't responsible for his actions. But now, they'll have to suffer.

And then, another thought makes my blood run cold.

Did Tobias or Rowan do this?

No, they couldn't have. At least, that's what I'd like to think.

Rowan and my brother are good people. But is it possible that they got angry enough to do this? No. No. No.

If one of them - or both - really did, the Candor investigators will find out. And then, they'll take them away.

Two men are murmuring beside me. I halt my erratic thoughts for the time being and try to listen to them.

"-do you reckon it happened?" One man asks the other.

"I'd say it's an accident. See those shining pieces beside him? Those are glass shards, and the dark stuff is probably alcohol. And drunks can't navigate their way around Dauntless for shit."

The words make me focus on the shiny pieces next to J. I squint at them, realizing with a relieved breath that he's right.

I doubt that, if this was done in a fit of rage, a broken alcohol bottle would be arranged to cover up their tracks. Every bit of current evidence points to J just falling into the Chasm while drunk.

It's only after a few seconds, once the blood stops rushing in my ears, that I realize that Julia is muttering something softly, almost imperceptibly.

I frown, my worry growing. Julia looks more shaken than I've ever seen her. I furrow my eyebrows as I catch what Julia keeps muttering.

"Sean." Who - or what - is Sean? "Sean, Sean, no, Sean-" At this point, I've heard enough. Julia's clearly panicking, and I refuse to let her stay in her current state.

"Julia." Julia doesn't respond.

I take a chance, gently placing my hands on her shoulders. "Julia, stop. You're not there. Sean isn't down there." Julia is still breathing hard, but her murmuring has ceased a little, and her eyes look a little less far away. I take this as a good sign, and keep on talking. "You're in Dauntless. You're the second-ranked initiate so far. You're safe."

This seems to do the trick, because Julia blinks, and immediately looks more aware of her surroundings. She focuses her eyes on me, with my hands on her shoulders, and then flushes red. "Oh! I'm-"