[f] He Finds Your University Acceptance Letter Pt. 2

Imagine type: fluff

Warning: hasn't been proofread! I apologize for any mistakes

———

It was early, way too early for your taste, but it didn't matter anyways because you hadn't been able to get much sleep due to the anticipation of your university graduation.

Nerves bubbled inside your stomach, and not just from the graduation, though. You had invited your family and friends out to join you for today and that included the pogues, who you regrettably hadn't seen in a while.

Blowing out a short breath, you try to focus on the ceremony happening in front of you, but that proved to be more difficult than you originally thought.

Looking to the side, you watch an older woman, someone you vaguely recognized, escorting your row of students to the foot of the stage.

Your legs worked automatically, but your mind wasn't on the ceremony. Instead, you were replaying the same words, the same situation in your head.

"Will you be there at my graduation?" You had once asked JJ almost 4 years ago, when you had first received your acceptance letter.

"Of course."

Was he really here today? You hadn't received any texts, any calls, no one else has said anything and you were too afraid to ask.

What does it matter? You reminded yourself. You're not even dating. He broke up with you.

Your place in line moved forward slowly, waiting for your turn as patiently as your nerves would allow for.

Even if JJ was here, would you even see him? There were so many people in the crowd—he would be virtually impossible to spot and if you did see him afterwards, what would you say?

"Hey, JJ. Nice seeing you. I haven't stopped thinking about you since you broke up with me."

Not really the best thing to say.

Your thoughts are interrupted when you hear your name being called. You almost freeze, but forcing yourself to continue, you take your place on the stage, your shoes clicking against the floor.

Your eyes search the floor as you cross, but just as you guessed, you couldn't see JJ, in fact you couldn't place anyone's face over the bright glare of the lights.

Your brain feels like it's in overdrive and your body is acting on its own, shaking the Chancellor's hand as he hands you your degree.

Somewhere in the crowd, you can hear loud cheers echoing through the large gymnasium. A large smile erupts on your face and you pause to take your photo with the Chancellor before exiting.

Several classmates offer you smiles and thumbs-up as you find your seat again, watching the rest of the graduands take their turn on the stage.

You find the wait to be excruciating, needing to stand up soon as your leg had fallen asleep. The university staff do not rush themselves, offering plenty of speeches and the class valedictorian offering a thorough speech of their own.

Finally, after another long 70 minutes, the graduating class are all officially graduates and everyone is let go.

Carrying your degree in your hands, you make your way outside of the school, soaking in the bright sun that reminds you so much of Outer Banks.