Chapter 3: One day

Annika Remo

Annika Remo

I don't think I have ever run that fast in my life, my heart feels like it would beat out of my chest. Calm down, it's not like you will ever see him again.

Everyone in the library had their eyes on me because of my grand entrance. Giving them an awkward smile, I make my way to the section of the library where my favourite books are waiting for me to read them. But all I can think about is that strange handsome man's eyes and his intoxicating smell. 

Stop Annika you know better, this stuff doesn't belong in your world. Stick to your fantasy love novels. Nodding at my inner self, I continue tracing my finger on the spines of the books until one attracts me. 

My eyes graze the beautiful backbone of one book, "Me before you."  Trusting myself I take the book, holding it against my chest as I make my way to the moody librarian. If a book clicks with me, I don't bother reading the blurb because I know it will be an emotional and miraculous novel. Please I already know I'm wired. 

Returning my book and borrowing the new one that I recently decided on, I make my way out of the whole-hearted and warm library. The images of me humiliating myself on the street kept reiterating in my mind. God, why did I do that. 

I look at the time on my worn-out watch and realise I am exceedingly late. Stupid me. 

I place the book in my bag and start sprinting across the street, dodging many pedestrians as they gave me grimy glances. Well sorry, I don't look like you typical, educated, stuck up business human. These people only care about wealth and disregard the meaning of life as work is too imperative for them. They don't recognise the exquisiteness and beauty of the world until they die with boring lives. Yes, my life isn't perfect but I make do with what I have and keep on dreaming. Our dreams determine the level of our greatness, for they hold the essence of life as it is arising from the soul. Anyway enough of my annoying jabbering. 

As I was walking a sense that someone or something was following me developed. I don't know how though. Maybe it's just my imagination, I have a wild one, to be honest. Perhaps I should stop reading those mysterious stalking novels, that somehow end up as love stories. Love stories are you serious Annika Like you will ever fall in love with your stalker. Shaking off the feeling, I continued to proceed. 

Gradually and silently, I make my way to the back gate. Before I could open the entrance a firm grip was held upon my upper arm making me turn instantly. "What are you doing outside the gates, Annika," I hold my trembling figure upright. It was one of my uncle's many guards, usually, they don't cover this area, so I don't comprehend how I got caught. 

 "Please don't tell my uncle, you know what he will do to me," holding back my tears, I look into his eyes begging him not to say anything.

He looked around cautiously before speaking, "Ok, but don't leave the mansion again, I might not be the one that catches you next time" Relief swept over me and I stood on my tippy toes hugging him. He was stunned but slowly wrapped his arms around me "T-thank you so much." Quickly I let go, recognising the position I had put him in. He nodded and gave me a sweet smile, gesturing for me to go inside. I look back once more to thank him but my eyes land on a slick black car in the distance. I believe they saw me observing because in a matter of seconds the car speed away.