Chapter 52: Orchards

Annika Remo

Annika Remo.

"Okay, this is the electronic store." Marco said, and I gave him a smile before hurrying inside with Ruby. I couldn't sleep all night because of how anxious I was. The sound of the guns never seemed to leave my head. I needed to call Matteo.

We quickly made our way to the front desk, hoping that he would allow me and Ruby to use his international phone, considering that we don't have any money at the moment. "Hi. Um, we really need to use your phone." I made a hand signal for the phone and hoped that the employee would understand.

The employee looked at us sceptically before nodding and pointing at the new phones on the glass table. I closed my eyes in annoyance at myself. "No. Can we use your phoneee." I emphasised the word 'phone' and made another hand gesture. The employee still seemed to not get it.

Ruby tried, but it was still no use. I kept looking out the window, making sure no one was there to see us. We were in a hurry and couldn't afford to waste any more time. The employee seemed to be getting impatient, and I could sense his irritation growing. I took a deep breath and decided to try a different approach. "Look, we really need to make an urgent call. Our phone is lost?" I pleaded with him, hoping he would understand.

"Vogliono usare il tuo telefono internazionale." Marco walks from behind, saying something to the man in Italian. The employee's expression softened as he realised we were tourists in need of help. "Si, certo. Scusate il ritardo," he said, handing us his phone. I felt relieved as I dialled the number and waited for someone to answer. Marco gave me a reassuring smile.

"Pick up, please, Matteo," I muttered under my breath, feeling stressed as the phone rang. The phone goes to voicemail, and my heart stops for a moment. I try calling again, but it goes straight to voicemail once more.

I turn to Ruby, my anxiety rising. "What do we do now?" I ask, my voice trembling slightly.

I noticed the TV as it played the news. I couldn't understand, but I knew that mansion was the one we were staying at before the raid. They were wheeling bodies out of the mansion, and my stomach turned at the thought of what could have happened. I felt a lump form in my throat.

"Marco, can you translate?" I asked, holding onto his arm as I felt faint. Marco nodded, his expression grim as he listened to the news anchor's words. "It's not good," he said, his voice low. "They're saying there was a shootout at the mansion last night. The police found several bodies and are investigating." "What are we going to do now, Annika?" Ruby asked, pained like me. The mansion was supposed to be our safe haven, a place where we could lay low and avoid any danger. But now, it seemed like danger had found us. "We need to leave," I said, my eyes scanning the room for any signs of danger.

"We can't stay here any longer." My heart is pounding in my chest. Just when I said that men with suits walked past the window, when they saw us, they stopped in their tracks. My breath caught in my throat as I recognised the insignia on their jackets. They were members of the same organisation that we were trying to escape from. "We have to go, now!" I hissed, grabbing Ruby's hand and pulling her towards the back door, Marco following close.