Chapter 11: Longing

Annika Remo

Annika Remo

The car ride was quiet and we didn't say much but one question was still on my mind, unanswered. Compared to the other problems this one was something that shook me to the core. My constant paranoia is enough to disturb the most stubborn of minds. My head was feeling as though it would split in two. I rubbed my temples but the headache persisted. 

What the hell is a black list. 

What does my uncle mean it's too late. 

These stupid unanswered questions that this Matteo guy won't answer. Forcing myself to come to my senses, I look over to see we arrived back at his castle, mansion whatever you call it. If he's not gonna give me the answers, then I'm not moving. "I'm not going" I bite my lip to keep myself from crying. 

He didn't say anything, instead, he clenched his fist angrily and got out of the car smashing the door closed. I steady my breath and attempt to calm the panic. I tried to convince myself that I was brave and not scared. He blew open the door, making me flinch as he grabbed my upper arm forcing me out of the car.  

"Walk!," His voice was so powerful, so booming. I've had been bullied and tormented by my uncle and his family for a long time and I wasn't going to take it anymore. I'm tired of being pushed around. I wanted to be strong for myself and be the type of person my father would be proud of.  

A boiling fury swelled inside of me, I look into his eyes  "I'm a human. A human. And if you don't know what a human is, it's something that has feelings. I have legs and can walk on my own, without you dragging me. I'm not an animal. Now get your hands off me!," I say firmly. 

 The vein was bulging out of his neck. I could almost feel his blood boiling. He brought me closer to his face and his grasp on my arm compressed more. Terror sucked the very breath from my mouth. 

"I suggest you watch what you say to me, next time I won't be that forgiving, gattina," His thick Italian accent bringing shivers down my spine. Taking my arm out of his hold, I run to Mitchell as she was watching us. 

And you like this Jerk, Annika.

Mitchell takes me inside and walks me towards what looks like the medical wing of the mansion. The doctors come and treated my wounds and the cuts on my face. When it got to my fingers I was frightened to let them touch because I know how painful it would be. "Annika, it would be ok, trust them," Diego's friendly words bringing me a little reassurance. 

I nod slowly giving the nurse my hand to examine. She grabs a pair of scissors cutting the white bandages to reveal my swollen and purple fingers. I close my eyes and the nurse touches my fingers, the sudden shock making me tense my muscles. I trembled, a solemn tear fell down my cheek; my body looked calm compared to how tangled my mind was. When she was finally done, she bandages them up. "They should be heald in two months" I thank her as she cleans up. I look up to see Matteo standing in front of me. He had his fits clenched so hard that practically his nails cut into his skin.