Chapter 51: Apples

Annika Remo

Annika Remo

The streets were busy with tourists at the market. Vendors called out their wares, trying to lure in potential customers with promises of the best deals and highest quality goods. The air was thick with the scent of spices and food cooking on open grills.

But I didn't know where to go or who to ask for help. I look back every second, making sure I and Ruby are not being followed. My heart was pounding as we navigated through the crowds, trying to blend in and avoid drawing attention to ourselves. I couldn't help but feel a sense of unease, knowing that we were in a foreign land with no real plan or destination in mind.

As we walked further into the market, I noticed that the stalls were becoming more crowded and the noise level was rising. It was overwhelming, and I felt lost in the chaos of it all.

We stopped at the fruit stand, hoping to take a quick break. "Annika. What do we do? My legs hurt." I turned to my friend, whose face was flushed with exhaustion. "We can take a break here for a bit," I replied.

"But we need to figure out where we're going next. We can't just wander aimlessly." We sat down and took a few deep breaths, trying to calm our nerves and collect our thoughts.

I turned around to look further in the distance, only to bump into a man, making him drop his carton of apples. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" I exclaimed, bending down to help him pick up the spilt fruit. "It's okay. It happens." His thick Italian accent makes me look up, only to pause when we make eye contact.

His piercing blue eyes were filled with kindness and a hint of curiosity. "Are you lost?" he asked. Brushing back his blond hair. I hesitated before answering, not sure if I should trust a stranger. But something about him felt safe. "Yes, actually. We are looking for a place to stay tonight," I replied.

"I have a small guesthouse nearby. You can stay there for the night if you like," he offered. I was hesitant at first, but my stomach growled in agreement. Plus, I couldn't deny the feeling of trust that emanated from him.

"No, I think we can manage." He shook his head and laughed a little at my words.

"I insist. It's not safe to be out here at night." Still, I was stubborn.

"The nearest hotel from here on foot is 2 hours away." My heart sank at his words. Two hours of walking in the dark didn't seem like a good idea. I turned to Ruby, silently asking for her opinion. She nodded, but I didn't have any other choice.

"Okay. Thank you." We followed him through the winding streets of the small Italian town, taking in the sights and sounds of the bustling marketplace.

"Sorry, I didn't catch your name." I said to him as we walked. "My name is Marco," he replied with a warm smile. "And what brings you to our little town?" he asked curiously. I hesitated for a moment before deciding to open up to this kind stranger. "My friend and I are travelling through Europe. But we got into some trouble with some locals earlier today," I explained. Marco listened intently and nodded sympathetically.