Chapter 29: Effortlessly

Annika Remo

Annika Remo

I steady my breath and try to calm the panic. My hands were shaking in a strange trembling pattern, and I couldn't control them anymore. My face's colour began to fade fast. I look at Ruby and Diego, who have also been frozen due to my condition. I whimpered and my legs collapsed underneath me. Diego pressed his hand against my upper shoulder, attempting to stop the bleeding and bring me back to reality. "Annika, I need you to get up for me," I nod, unable to talk due to the excruciating pain.

"It's only a scuff on the shoulder; you'll be ok. But I need you to be strong," My heart was pounding loudly and unevenly in my ears, but I couldn't hear it because my mind was clouded with dread. As Ruby assists me in walking to the exit, my eyes well up with tears. "It's bleeding out bad. The wound is quite deep, fuck."

I breathed a sigh of relief as I heard sirens off in the distance. The paramedics rushed me into the ambulance in an attempt to halt the bleeding. "Miss, I need to cut your shirt," she adds, and I consent and she begins cutting the clothing. I close my eyes and clutch Ruby's hand while the lady cleans the deep wound. It was terrible, and I knew I needed stitches. I took a deep breath and braced myself for what she was going to do as she grasped the needle. "This will make it easier for you to deal with the pain of the stitches." Ruby wipes my tears away with her palm as I turn aside not wanting to look.

She finished sewing my shoulder and placed a bandage over it after a short time. "Don't make any sudden movement's or you'll open your wound," I nod and she places my hand in an arm sling. I look across to Diego, who is on the phone with someone, rubbing his head in distress.

One of the individuals who was firing at us had been apprehended by the police when he failed to flee.

Matteo got out of a car that had come to a halt, rage written all over his handsome face. I hurriedly exited the ambulance, terrified. He clenched his hand's and roared fiercely. Matteo struck the guy who was tied up, in the face. He collapsed to the ground, blood running down his nose, but he never looked up to meet Matteo's gaze as he seemed frightened. I quickly covered my lips and dashed up to him.

Matteo leapt forwards, his blows never stopping, striking the defenceless men on the ground. I didn't recognise him; he had transformed into someone else. He swept his hand behind his waist and in seconds brought a fully loaded gun, pointing at the guy. "Matteo!" my lips trembled as I cried.

He softened his demeanour as he peered into my teary eyes. He said something to Diego before immediately getting up and withdrawing his pistol. His arms opened wide to welcome me in, and I ran straight in them. I fell into his embrace, realising this moment will never be taken away. I didn't give a damn about my shoulder as his body was pressed up against mine.

"I'm never going to let you out of my sight again," I pull back, my gaze locked with his.

I whispered in his ear saying, "Never let go."