Chapter 31: Time

Annika Remo:

Annika Remo:

I got out of bed and made my way to the closet. I'm not allowed to leave the estate because Matteo won't let me. That is, assuming he was aware. Plus, I'm trying to stay away from him, so leaving could be a smart idea. I changed my clothing with a smile on my face.

I put on my coat and got my purse and walked out of the room. Before slipping out of the bedroom, I poke my head out to check the corridor. I go to the kitchen since I knew I couldn't exit from the front. I'm hoping Diego doesn't see me because he usually manages to find me in odd situations.

"Cucciolo?" Speak of the devil.

I turn around, smiling awkwardly. "Heyyyyyyyyyy," he raises a brow analysing me.

"Annika where are you going?" He is on to me, think Annika.

"Nowhere, what makes you say that?," I pretended to chuckle slightly.

"By the way, you are dressed and--"

"I'm sorry about this"

"About wh-" I take the nearest pan on the counter and hit him in the head, knocking him unconscious before he could finish. My heart is racing as I stare at him on the ground. I quickly check his pulse to ensure that he is still alive, which he is. I exhaled a sigh of relief as he began to move, my eyes widening with panic coursing through my body. I feel horrible in my heart, yet he deserved it in a way. I let go of the pan and bolted from the kitchen.

When he wakes up, he'll murder me. I burst out laughing as I realise I've gotten him back on track with 'karma'. Maybe I struck him a bit too hard, no, he was being a little too obnoxious. He reminds me of a sibling who refuses to leave me alone.

I went to Mitchell's and my mother's graves first since I was sorely missing them. I lay some flowers on their headstones, kissing them both with tears. I arrived at the location Ruby had given me, which was a lovely house, not a mansion or expensive like Matteo's, but it was perfect for Ruby and me.

"Ruby," I say as I enter, she hugs me. "Isn't it beautiful? It has three rooms and there is a living area upstairs and downstairs, with the kitchen...bathrooms...---" I interrupt her.

"Slow down," I laugh.

The house seemed open and light as soon as I walked in. "Close your eyes," she whispers, as she grabs my hand and drags me somewhere. "Open," she says, opening my eyes and gasping. The yard was absolutely beautiful, with flowers and fruit trees adorning every corner.

"That's not the best part" I chase after her when she opens another door revealing a library. I smile even brighter, hugging her.

"It's so beautiful," I embrace her.

"The house need's a little work but it's perfect for us, what do you say?"

I wipe my tears away "To get here, I struck Diego with a pan and knocked him out, and he will very certainly murder me. So I'm looking for a spot to hide and this would be perfect." She glanced at me with her mouth agape, as though she was taken back. I mean, I would have been furious if someone had hit my boyfriend, and I'm not even referring to Matteo. I'm hoping we're a thing, but I can't even bring it up with him since I know it'll backfire.

"Hold up, what did you do?" I held my breath.

"You heard?" I ask gently, bracing myself for how she may respond.

"He earned it, thank God. For the last week, that fucking asshole has left me on read." I start choking on my own saliva. Is it possible that I misheard or that my hearing aids aren't working?

I laugh with her "Anyway, the owner is coming soon, so we can discuss the settlement."

"Ruby, I don't have any money, and I can't let you pay," she shakes her head, ignoring me as she grabs my hand in hers.

"Annika, it's time. You'll find work, and we'll split the bill. In addition, the owner is a close friend of my parents" Her kindness makes me smile.

After a few moments, the owner entered. He was an elderly man, yet he was accompanied by another person. Which I believe is his son. In my opinion, he was in his late twenties. He was quite attractive with his brown hair and brown eyes. We made eye contact, and I smiled, embarrassed, as he undoubtedly noticed me eyeing him out. He appeared to be quite kind. Annika, concentrate.

"Ruby!" said the elderly man, who held Ruby with such warmth in his heart.

"Hi Edward, I want you to meet my friend, Annika" I smile as Edward embraces me in a hug.

"Nice to meet you"

"You too"

"Ruby, you've met my son, Ace." Ruby nods and shakes his hand as he extends it to me; I'm not sure if I should take it. "I'm Annika," I say quietly as I hold his hand.

Ruby and Edward were talking in the kitchen as I and Ace just stood there awkwardly. "Do you go to university?" I nod.

"I'm majoring in law at Marymount University."

"How come I haven't seen you around," wait he goes to the same university?

"I'm going to start there shortly. It's wonderful to know that when I start, I'll know someone" He agrees with me and chuckles.

"This house was my mother's after she passed. It's comforting to know that someone will take care of it thereafter," I know exactly how it feels.

"I'm deeply sorry for your loss. I just lost someone close to me, so I understand how you feel." He gives a gentle smile. Ruby walks back with the contract and key's in her hand, grinning.

"Everything has been completed; congrats, girls." I hugged Edward and thanked him. We accompany them to the door, saying our goodbyes until Ace stops me. "Annika, I was wondering if I could have your number to show you around the campus when you do start," I'm at a loss for words. I don't want to be disrespectful or unpleasant, and if Matteo finds out that I gave my number to a random person, he'll go insane.

I'm assuming he's just being polite.

I smile kindly and nod, tucking some hair behind my ear as he hands me his phone, which I accept. This was until it was snatched from my grasp and flung to the ground, shattering and breaking. I glance up and jump as Matteo appears in front of me; fury is an understatement.

Annika, you are doomed.