Chapter 8: Charity

Annika Remo

Annika Remo

It felt like an eternity, that I was chained helplessly. I didn't want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep. And that's really sad. It's was almost like a reverse nightmare, like when you wake up from a nightmare you're so relieved. I woke up into a nightmare. 

Every now and then a maid comes in and helps me with my wounds and that's only because my uncle doesn't want me to die. He's so wretched. My fingers haven't gotten any better in fact it's gotten worse but what could I do. I was helpless. If I even moved them a fragment, the pain would be overbearing. They were swollen to the extent that it doesn't even look like fingers. The maids couldn't do anything because they were broken and wouldn't heal just like that. 

I miss Mitchell. Her sweetness, kind heart that brings me comfort when I needed it. When my uncle prevented me from going to my parents funeral, it was like a stab in the heart. Without Mitchell, I would've died from that bleeding wound which is still raw and deep. I grieved for days on, wishing just to be able to say my final words. 

I didn't get to say goodbye. It repeats inside my head, it fills my heart with pain and my very soul with dread. I never got the chance to whisper quietly into their ear those final words. But I did say "I love you" enough times for them to hear. 

I know one thing and that It isn't about the final words that were said or not spoken. It is about the love expressed that not even death can break. 

I wipe my tears away. 

At least through this week, I had my book to give me company. I read it over and over again, like my favourite song on replay. The book is so beautiful. It's amazing how a small-town girl knows a lot about the people around her, changes a person who hates everyone around him in six months. Although they have a rocky start, their relationship grows over time, going from hate, to like, to love. It would forever be one of my favourite books. 

 The attic door opens and a maid walks in. I don't pay attention and continue daydreaming as usual. She makes her way to me unlocking the chains around my ankles. "We need to get you ready for tonight," my poor ankles were red and bruised from the shackles but that wasn't my concern. What was my interest was what the maid had said. 

"What for?" she looks up with a little irritation. Ok sorry. 

"Please don't ask questions. I can't answer them and it's better for you that way," I nod not wanting to annoy her. 

She helped me up. I couldn't even walk. If it weren't for the maid, I would've fallen. She guides me to the bathroom. "Take a shower" 

"Ok, but please just give me just a little hint," she sighs. 

"Mr Peter is taking you to a meeting, that's all I can say." Another one, am I really worth that much. I thank her before closing the door and taking off my dirty dress from last week. I wonder what he is doing right now.