Chapter 48: Plane

Annika Remo

Annika Remo

"Anna I know you don't like vegetables, but they will make you stronger, so let's finish them together and have some fun outside." Anna looks at me with a hesitant expression on her face but nods in agreement and takes a small bite of the broccoli. She begins to enjoy the taste after a few more bites, and we finish the vegetables together before heading outside.

Her small feet in the grass and the fresh air in her lungs make her feel invigorated as we run around. Anna even comments on how good she feels after eating the vegetables and promises to try them more often, making me laugh. I sat there and watched Anna with her hands in the air, giggling and smiling, grateful for the chance to spend time with her. Time. It's moments like these that make me realise the importance of being present and enjoying the simple things in life. I make a mental note to do this more often, to cherish these moments and create more memories with loved ones.

I jump from my thoughts as Anna plunges into my arms. Her infectious laughter filled the air. I hold her tightly, grateful for this moment and the time we have together. "Annika, do you think Santa Claus will come this year?" Her random question brings a smile to my face as I reply, "Of course, he will, as long as you've been a good girl." I feel her nod against my chest. The question made me realise that in those past years, she hasn't had a Christmas but her heart has broken instead. I make a mental note to make this Christmas extra special for her, filled with love and joy, and to remind her that she deserves all the happiness in the world.

The year is almost over. I feel like I have been so caught up with everything that I didn't even notice.

"Mrs Annika. The car is ready." I nod at the tall man standing in front of me. Looking down at Anna in my arms, I walk towards the car, gently placing her in the back seat and fastening her seatbelt.

"Annika, I don't want to go," her words come broken. And my heart feels heavy as I realise how much she is going to miss me. I kneel to her level and hold her little soft hand in mine. I feel a lump in my throat, and I try to hold back my tears.

"I know it's hard, Nugget." "I will miss you too, but we will always have each other in our hearts. And we can talk to each other whenever we want." She looks up at me with her big, brown eyes, and I can see the love and trust she has for me. It's hard to say goodbye, but I know it's for the best. I give her a tight hug and whisper in her ear, "Remember that distance means so little when someone means so much." She smiles at me and nods, and we both know that our bond will remain strong no matter where life takes us.

I reassured her with a smile before closing the car door and turning to face the tall man, who introduced himself as her driver for the day. I take a deep breath and wave goodbye to Anna as the car slowly drives away and the big gates open, feeling sadness and a sense of emptiness in my heart but also knowing that she is in good hands.

"Mrs Annika, please come inside. You'll catch a cold." One of the maids gestured for me to come inside the house, breaking my train of thought about Anna. I followed her, feeling humbled by the warmth that welcomed me. As I entered the mansion, I noticed the cosy fireplace and the sweet aroma of freshly baked cookies. The maid offered me a cup of hot tea and a plate of cookies, which I gratefully accepted.