Chapter 25: Broken

Annika Remo

Annika Remo

I awoke early this morning in excruciating discomfort. I didn't want to do anything today, but I told Mitchell that I would check in on her as usual. I too despise being trapped here. I can't talk to anyone, and the only person I can be near except Mitchell is Ruby, and she brings with her aggression and conflicts. I never expected to be married into a poisonous relationship in a million years. I always imagined that one day I'd be able to escape and live and find someone to love. I showered and changed. 

I exited the room, only to be greeted with my nightmare. I was about to go from the side when he grasped my arm with such power that it stopped me. My heartbeat quickened as I realised what was going to happen next as a result of what happened the night before.

"Are you going to meet Mitchell?" I remained silent rather than responding to his venomous words. His hold on my arm tightens, forcing me to gaze up at him in disgust. His eyes were no longer as warm and loving as they had been when we were children. He's an entirely different person now. A guy lacking morals and humility. It's almost as though I feel sorry for him. I wish individuals like him and my uncle would just go to hell.

"I expect you to answer like my wife when I ask you a fucking question!" 

"I am not, and will never be, your wife. This marriage is only on paper." I steady my breath and try to calm the panic. His eyes grow darker at my words. I wanted to run for safety, but my feet would not allow me to do so. 

"My father was right; you need to be taught to shut your mouth." My face had soon lost its colour. My heart was pounding in my ears, loud and irregular, but I couldn't hear it because my mind was clouded by terror. As he shoved me in, he seized my hair and pulled it back into the room, closing the door behind him.

Before I could go, he caught me and began beating me. My body was tortured with screams and tears as I begged him to stop.

He seized my throat and yanked me up against the wall. My lungs were being deprived of oxygen, and my feet no longer touched the ground. I tried to fight back, but my little body was no match for his. Slowly, I became limp, and he let me go, causing me to collapse to the ground as I clutched my throat, gasping for air.

As he stood there, staring down at me, tears streamed down my cheeks. "Regardless of the beatings and hits, I will never confess to being your wife. I'd die before saying something so lovely to such a vile man." His face was filled with a sour expression and he grasped my wrist making me whimper. 

"I will make your life a living hell," He balled his fingers into a fist and drove them through the wall, then slammed the door behind him. I put my hand over my mouth to stifle a scream. Crying, I drew my knees up to my chest.

My phone began to ring, and I slowly removed it from my handbag, answering it as tears streamed down my cheeks. "Annika, I have some exciting news for you. There is an organisation in the city that houses abused children and women. They want to meet you after hearing your story. They believe it would be a wonderful motivator."